Older cat vomiting water/fluid

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My older cat has been vomiting water and fluid. His blood work is normal. His appetite is good. He does have gurgling in his belly and that sometimes proceeds the vomiting of fluid. He does not seem to vomit food and usually throws up clear, slightly brownish liquid. No foam.

My trusted vet has left the practice. The last vet I tried was straight from vet school and suggested he had internal parasites (unlikely in an older, indoor cat already on dewormer medication monthly).

The only other symptoms he has is itching and hairloss on his legs. Something is wrong, if only I knew what it was. My guess was kidney disease, but again his last bloodwork was completely normal. Any thoughts?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When does this vomiting occur? If he goes long hours without eating, he could be throwing up stomach acids.

Itchiness and hair loss on his legs sounds more like an allergy of some sort - could be food or environmental related.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When does this vomiting occur? If he goes long hours without eating, he could be throwing up stomach acids.

Itchiness and hair loss on his legs sounds more like an allergy of some sort - could be food or environmental related.
Yes to what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner writes. These two things -- stomach acid and the hair loss -- can sometimes go together if the cat easily gets stressed. We get lots of combinations/variations on these themes with our two cats! Unfortunately, stomach acid can have a cascading effect: once it starts, it can take time (and patience) to settle the stomach again. (I know this for myself and try to remember it when our cats vomit stomach acid.)

Feeding small meals throughout the day (and perhaps even a snack at night) can help on both counts, particularly if the cat is insecure about his food.

Good luck!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did he have a urinalysis as well?

Does he eat dry or wet?

Senior cats might eat less and need to eat more frequently to keep stomach acids lower. Sometimes dry food can also become too difficult for them to digest.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats digest food fairly quickly so the more water present gives you an idea of how much he’s eating throughout the day - is he eating as much right now as he was before he started throwing up? What’s coming out on the other end at the litter box? Is he peeing much? Its important to know what the cycle of digestion is.