Older cat suddenly attacking other cats for no reason.

elijahssong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a 6 year old cat (Ming) who is suddenly attacking other cats in the house for no reason. We have four cats, an 8 year old,(Pumpkin) the six year old (Ming) a five year old (Nim)and a two year old. (Loki). Ming has never done this before. This has only started within the last two months. It is often happening when I can't see it, but yesterday it happened right in fron of me. My cat Nim was sleeping next to me, and Ming attacked him for no reason and bit him hard until he cried and ran away. He has also been doing it to Loki, but never the older cat. He also did it to Nim yesterday after my husband paid attention to him. I would say it is about us, but he has been doing it at night too when we are sleeping. Any ideas?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! Oftentimes, this can mean an illness in the attacker or the 'attackee', but not sure this applies in your situation with Ming attacking two other cats, unless they are both sick, which probably isn't likely. Or Ming is sick and doesn't go after Pumpkin because s/he is the alpha. It doesn't have to be a major illness; any degree of sickness can affect a cat or their scent. Vet visits by some cats, and not others, cat set a cat off too due to change in scent. But most of the time this stops when the scent change dissipates, unless one or more cats are on meds that can affect their scent and/or demeanor as well.

Other than illness, another cause can be a cat or other critter looming about outside that Ming can sense, and he re-directs his reaction onto Nim or Loki. This will require some investigation on your part to determine if there is something going on outside. The solution depends on what you find.

Lastly, there could have been some changes inside your home right before this started that is causing some kind of distress in Ming. This can be just about anything - food changes or the cats' meal schedule adjustments. changes in furniture/flooring, cleaning products, air fresheners/candles/perfumes - the list goes on and on. Another area you might have to do some thinking about to identify any changes in the home at that time - this usually comes down to changes we humans take for granted. The timing may be playing a role too in this scenario.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, you're going to have to put your detective hat on with this one. Cats never attack for "no reason," but figuring out that reason can be a real puzzle! I've seen cats react like this over construction happening a block over...the power saws and drills set them off.