Older cat: Stroke vs Injury?

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On the idea & urging of Di and Bob on here I wanted to let all here know, that In Jan. I took my 18yo cat to an all-cat vet group. A followup in Feb. at same vet stil was thought to have revealed a stroke -- as this was thought in Jan. But... I (umm Me --- & JUST --- WHO AM I??) NOT THE VETS, deemed it a poss. stroke on MY claim or random wild guess. So it seems they "took my word??" for it? This is weird & I wonder how I got to be a DVM w/out a license or schooling?? Haha.

Ok, so yest. I take her to our old school trusted male vet over 1.5hrs away. (Sould have from the start but was lazy, ahem :( ). He said, I'm unsure a stroke is even the cause of her now not able to be walking in front legs? Her rear legs went weak in Jan. thus I thought stroke? But what do I know? I'm NOT a vet. Apparently the the all-cat vets think I am. But can I get paid if I am? Haha, no, I diagnose for them -- right or wrong (wrong prolly) then PAY THEM for the privilege. Hmm, something's wrong here w/ the entire system in vet medicine, no?

So, then Dr. K took bld wk & subq'd 150mls saying she a bit dry from having real hard time walking to bowl, thus not drinking as much h2o. Makes sense. So on Sat. morn will get bld wk results. She has either Stage 1 or maybe 2 CKD -- but again, this is unconfirmed til I speak to Dr. K in morn.

oI say all this as many here may have a kitty in same shoes & before putting down it warrants a 2nd opinion, etc. I am really confused now on my end here w/ our 18yo girl??? So will update asap.

Please delay, unless your cat is in obvious pain/distress until you see a vet or 2? to reconfirm what may be going on? Ok, DI asked to say this to maybe help other ppl in same boat & if... unsure if their cat is sick or whatnot?

Anyone who has similar story please let us all know so we ALL can benefit from each other's experience w/ our kitties AND our diff. vets. TY to Di & Bob for this idea very very much. ;) God Bless them, as someone Above spoke to them to get this idea to me. :)

This ALL worries me re the care we get from our vets. Choose wisely or best you can re your vet. Your baby's life may depend on it.

Di & Bob are the MESSAGE , I'm just the messenger.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, M movinintime , I also wanted to add that stage 1 or even 2 CKD can be caused by dehydration too, and often clears up when the cat is feeling better. The cat above has gotten SLIGHTLY better, and it is a matter of time to see if there will be any further improvement. At 18 any healing from either a stroke or an injury will be a slow journey. As long as there is no obvious suffering, a second opinion is very valuable. This poster was told by many to put the cat down because of her age. As my husband has said many times before, there is a reason they call it 'practicing' medicine! Any help with giving this cat lover any advice on how to care for a cat with stroke-like symptoms who is slowly gaining back strength? Any one else out there been thru this?