older cat peeing on bed

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat Patch is about 13-14 years old. she was born a stray and was spayed by a spay & neuter clinic. I adopted her after about 3 years, she's been with me through a lot of moves and life changes but we've been in a stable living situation for about 2 years now. when we moved in here she got her shots and a verification that she'd been spayed. it's a pretty small apartment - a central kitchen/living room area, our room, roommate's room and a bathroom. her previous homes had more space & access to the outdoors (irresponsible for the other cats but patch has always been extremely sluggish and uninterested in hunting or playing of any sort, and it wasn't my decision or control).
she'll pee on our bed, or on anything we happen to have on the floor. she has a very large open litterbox in an open closet off the living room, and another next to our bedroom door. she is our only pet & i clean the litterboxes every few days as I'm able.
in trying to get this fixed we've taken her to the vet a few times. the vet said there was a large chance she was arthritic and prescribed her pain medication. they also got from her urinalysis and bloodwork that she had bacteria in her urine, and she was on an antibiotics course for a week. during and a bit after this week she was leaving puddles of diarrhea everywhere. neither of these things have changed her bathroom behavior; she'll still leave a bit of poop under our desk or pee on our bed. she'll poop just about anywhere if she feels like it but she'll only pee in our room typically. I clean everything with carpet cleaner or general cleaner & a liberal application from a spray bottle of vinegar.
I have to admit there's not much to keep her attention in here, but that's never seemed to be a problem before, but she's had more room to explore and look around before. when she's playful for about five seconds we wiggle spare shoelaces for her, and sometimes I give her some treats of freeze-dried chicken, or a tiny bit of a potato chip or cracker (she really loves crunchy things, but only has one tooth and vomits from dry food, so she can't eat it often). I'm getting her a cat tree of some sort for christmas, but her mobility is generally pretty limited and we're not sure how much she'll use it. we're surprised and congratulate her when she's able to jump on the couch by herself.
I have a little leash and harness for her, but it's always felt more for me than for her. she doesn't mind it, but doesn't like it either. sometimes I take her outside without it; she moves very slowly, one step at a time, and I've never had any trouble. there is a small courtyard of grass and bushes outside, and a line of grass, rocks, and trees beside the parking lot. I let her explore these sometimes, and she likes to look around and listen. I have chronic fatigue and pain so it's a little hard to carry her up and down the three flights of stairs too often.
I'm really starting to think it's an environmental thing. what else can I do to make my kitty's world a bit bigger? I'm thinking of using random boxes we have to put together a little cat castle, with ramps so it's not too hard to navigate. I made her a soft bed out of old pajama pants, but she mostly just pees or poops on it. we have our (very drafty) windows covered with blankets for the winter, but when we don't she likes to get on the back of the couch and look outside for a bit. I will admit i'm afraid that whatever I make for her will just be another place to go to the bathroom.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Can you set up another litterbox or two and see if that helps, so that she has the option of using cleaner boxes?

I'm thinking of using random boxes we have to put together a little cat castle, with ramps so it's not too hard to navigate
I think this is a great idea :)!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Can you set up another litterbox or two and see if that helps, so that she has the option of using cleaner boxes?
I might be able to try that temporarily, but I don't know if I can give that much space to litterboxes permanently. though she does seem kind of picky with litterboxes, she almost always goes right at the opening & gets out as quick as she can. her litterbox in our room is made out of a big storage bin, and I cut two different openings in it for that reason. I'll try it out, I've got two leftover from replacing them

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Does she not like the litter, maybe? What if you took a puppy pee pad, or any cloth that you don't care about and put that inside a litter box and see what she thinks?

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this will help with the elimination issues (new cat owner here), but if you want to give her more places to explore, you could cut different holes in boxes? I do this, because it's an easy way to provide variety and then I can just recycle when done (or when someone comes over and I need the space back). I've had success lining one of the exit holes up to a sissal scratch pad leading up to the sofa.

I also leave a small space for her get behind the solar blinds covering our large window. When she's behind it on the window sill, the blind hangs straight so it still has its intended affect.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I doubt that her inappropriate peeing and pooping are because of boredom or lack of entertainment. How long have both been going on? Has she been treated multiple times for an infection - what you call bacteria in her urine? It is possible that the antibiotics the vet has given her are not the right kind for her type of bacteria, and therefore it never really gets rid of it entirely. In addition to a urinalysis, a urine culture should have been done to determine the type of bacteria and identify the best course of antibiotics for it.

Has the diarrhea only been going on while she has been on medications? If so, it could be that one or more of them is upsetting her digestive tract. Also, having diarrhea might be part of why you find poop in multiple locations throughout the house, sometimes it is hard to control bowel movements with diarrhea. If the diarrhea began before the meds were started, there is apparently still something upsetting her digestive tract. Perhaps, the vet should consider performing a full fecal PCR panel to look for various strains of bacteria or viruses (as well as parasites) that wouldn't be caught through bloodwork or a urinalysis. If her bloodwork didn't include a Chemistry Profile, you might have that done as well. This could identify a enzyme or chemical imbalance that might have something to do with her issues.

Instead of - or in addition to pain meds - have you or the vet considered giving her arthritis supplements such as glucosamine, chondroitin, and/or green lipped mussels? These products are used by humans with success in helping with joint issues, and it might enable you to lessen the dosage of pain meds in case that is having any kind of negative impact on her bathroom habits.

I would also consider a way to clean the litterboxes daily, in case she has developed an aversion to having too much 'stuff' in her boxes. Cats can change their preferences as the age, so what might not have bothered her years ago could easily bother her now.

I think the cat castle and ramps is a great idea! Feeby (16+ yo) has some arthritis and isn't much for playing either, but she sure likes to hang out in and explore new boxes whenever she comes across them in my house. I also have multiple footstools around for her to use as an extra step to get on various pieces of furniture, and she uses them now regularly. She prefers the footstools over using regular steps because they are larger and 'safer' for her to jump up on/down from.

Sorry for the long post, but I do think it is important to continue to pursue the health aspect with Patch before you assume her bathroom problems are behavioral.

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she not like the litter, maybe? What if you took a puppy pee pad, or any cloth that you don't care about and put that inside a litter box and see what she thinks?
I use Abound natural litter, I'm not sure what cloth I could use, I mean worst case scenario I just wash a towel or something. I'll check it out

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are things?
She's used the third litterbox I set up in the common area a few times, she hasn't gone outside the boxes that I can tell (though I have been smelling it, I don't know if it's psychosomatic or I just can't tell where it is.)

Just now I took one of my girlfriend's old shirts she doesn't like, with her permission, and put it in her main litterbox, which is in our room and is made out of a big storage bin w/ a lid. I set her down in it to show her, and she immediately... laid down. she's been sleeping in there for about 10 min now. certainly seems like she likes the texture more but.... I don't know what this means

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh, also, i've been keeping the boxes very clean. cleaning once a day or more. it's easier when it's actively on my mind

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she's doing better. She might prefer a soft litter now, arthritis is common in paws and hips so senior cats can struggle with litter boxes. Dr elsey's has a senior litter that's very soft on paws and can even help with utis. They also have a regular soft paws litter that's not silica gel litter. Okocat has a soft litter as well, that one is a pine litter :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just now I took one of my girlfriend's old shirts she doesn't like, with her permission, and put it in her main litterbox, which is in our room and is made out of a big storage bin w/ a lid. I set her down in it to show her, and she immediately... laid down. she's been sleeping in there for about 10 min now. certainly seems like she likes the texture more but.... I don't know what this means
I would take it to mean that she doesn't necessarily recognize it as a litter box, but rather a nice new bed for her.

I know I posted a rather long response above (#6), but wondered if you have any information to share regarding my questions and comments.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
A blacklight can help to find pee spots, the only thing is that you won't know if they are old or new.

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would take it to mean that she doesn't necessarily recognize it as a litter box, but rather a nice new bed for her.

I know I posted a rather long response above (#6), but wondered if you have any information to share regarding my questions and comments.
she's had issues like this before when her environment is significantly smaller, different, or less engaging than what she's used to. I had to do a lot of work to be able to afford the tests she got, but if it continues being a problem even after her environment's better I'll definitely make room to take her back.

she doesn't typically have problems with diarrhea, and it's stopped after she dropped off the antibiotics & i supplemented some fiber in her meals for a bit.

we got her the pain meds because she was having bathroom issues, so I'm not sure that they're adding to them in any way, because once she got on it it did lessen a small amount.

i do think she probably prefers a cleaner box, so I'm workin on cleaning them more regularly, which is easier when I have a third

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She went outside the litterbox again! she squatted down to do it in our room, and my girlfriend noticed and moved her out to the common area, where she just proceeded to poop on the floor, three feet from the third litterbox there.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Patch considers that litter box with the T-shirt in it as more of a bed than a litter box, it could be part of the reason why she was planning on going outside of it. When your GF brought her out from your room, did she place her inside the litter box in the common area? If yes, did Patch then jump out to go on the floor instead? Either way, next time Patch tries to go outside the box, she should be placed inside one of the boxes (not the one with the T-shirt). And, if she jumps out, place her back in the box again. Not saying that will resolve the issue, but it sure couldn't hurt anything.

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
next time Patch tries to go outside the box, she should be placed inside one of the boxes (not the one with the T-shirt). And, if she jumps out, place her back in the box again. Not saying that will resolve the issue, but it sure couldn't hurt anything.
We do that typically, we even have a habit of doing it if we think patch is looking "suspicious" like she's about to go to the bathroom somewhere. Sometimes it works, and she'll use the litterbox when presented it, but other times I'll try around 5 times and she just jumps out every time and then there's poop somewhere later.