Older cat not as affectionate after bringing new kitten home

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 3 year old maine coon siberian mix male cat and he has always been the biggest baby, showed constant affection and love towards us but now that we have a new 3 month old kitten, he isn't as affectionate to us anymore. He does like the kitten, he plays with her and chases her, he doesn't attack or hiss at her at all but he does growl and hiss at us, he isn't as bad as he was a week ago, but he has these moments where he doesn't wanna be touched at all or anything. He used to be happy in the mornings and wake us up, now he doesn't do that, it's been a week since we brought the kitten home and I know it takes time but will he go back to being his normal self? He is eating and drinking fine and using the litter too, just his behaviour towards us changed a bit, I'm just hoping it's not permanent. What can I do?

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The 3-year-old is a bit jealous. Make sure you spend time with the cat. Do it in front of the new cat.
I brought in 2 new cats and my 12-year-old stopped sleeping with me in the bed. It took a bit of attention on my part to heal his wounds, so to speak.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree it should settle down quickly enough, with the hissing at you stopping entirely.

There may well be some permanent changes, but nothing so dramatic as your seeing now. You may get somewhat less attention from the older cat -- but the kitten should eventually more than make up for it. In the meantime, be patient and enjoy watching them play, and playing with them both.