Older cat - new kitten introduction problems

RushiiSushi13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am really looking for some hope more than advice here... but I'll gladly take the advice. I am quite experienced with cats but this one is tough.

So, I have a calico cat, Ori, 3 years old. She is my boyfriend's cat. She was always an only cat.
I am trying to introduce a new kitten, Lotus, a foster I intend to adopt, and I have taken things as slow as I could, but it is so slow that I am losing hope it will ever work.
Lotus has had a safe space, the mezzanine, for himself and a foster kitten friend, Pollux for 3 months now. He went from a 2 m/o kitten to a 5 m/o kitten. He was feral, so the mezzanine was a good place for his socialization, which took a LOT of time. Way more than any kitten I ever had. He had to get a foster friend to come out of his shell. He is good know, he won't cuddle but he loves pets and he is really sweet.

During all this time Ori could see and hear the kittens from the living room but didn't want anything to do with them. She would sometimes go up the mezzanine stairs (with a closed lid on top) and growl and hiss, we would pet her, reassure her, give her treats (that she refused), and she would go away angry.
When we tried to pet her with the kitten's smell on our hands she would hiss and leave. Still does.
We tried to feed her close to the mezzanine but she flat out refused and stopped eating wet food for as long as we tried to get her to eat close to the kittens.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, we decided the kittens were getting to big for the mezzanine and we want them to come down in the rest of the appartement with us. So we opened the lid and waited for the kittens to come down on their own. It took literal weeks, during which Ori would go up, see the kittens, hiss and growl, go back down. Sometimes she spent some time up there just laying on the stair and we figured she was okayish ? Just asserting who was the boss...
During this time I also did scent swaps by putting clothes with the kitten's smell where she usually sleeps, but she would just hiss, go away and avoid said places until the kitten's smell faded away.

Now, a few days ago, Lotus started coming down the stairs ! He's been exploring slowly, but Ori is NOT happy. He comes down when she is not in the living room but when she realizes that he is here she stares, hisses, growls and if he turns his back to go away she will chase him.

To prevent this, I try to engage her with pets (she hisses), to give her treats (she is not food motivated, she doesn't really like any cat treat, even not under stress), the only thing that kinda works is the laser, she will chase after it for a short time, but quickly loses interest and goes back to Lotus.
So things don't escalate I usually put Lotus back in the mezzanine at some point.

So, please tell me, am I doing things right ? Is there anything more I can do ? Is there hope for Lotus and Ori to, at least, tolerate each other at some point ?

Thank you for reading my very long post, sorry for not making shorter but I feel like everything is important ? Anyway, thank you again for reading and for your answers.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tough one. Normally, I'd recommend letting them be more free form, since adults essentially never hurt kittens, and I generally think it makes sense to use the "kitten time" to its fullest once the humans have done what they can -- i.e., let the cats try and work it out. Likely Ori just wants to chase him out of the space. You might get a swat or two, but Id be surprised if true violence is intended. At the same time, you have provided a lot of details of cats moving very slowly through the process (at best) and still having some real difficulties. So I certainly have no criticism of how you are handling it. Still, if there was ever a time to see what they can do on their own, its now, while you have some kitten time left. So I'd probably stop being so protective and see what happens. Its fairly routine for an older cat to have some anxiety and distaste about kittens, but if its only growling and hissing, its best to let them work through it after you've done whath you can. In your case, while I think its very unlikely you'll get true fighting, it sounds like you might get charge-swatting done with the intent to back off the kittens, which is not ideal, and makes the path forward unclear, but at least will tell you where your at.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RushiiSushi13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In your case, while I think its very unlikely you'll get true fighting, it sounds like you might get charge-swatting done with the intent to back off the kittens, which is not ideal, and makes the path forward unclear, but at least will tell you where your at.
Thank you for your answer and advice. What is charge-swatting ? English is not my first language and I don't know this expression. Which is too bad because it sounds important. ^^"

RushiiSushi13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nevermind, I looked it up. So Ori might attack Lotus, yes, I think it is very likely. She already chased after him.
If she does what should my reaction be ?
Yell NO ? Throw a cushion ? Nothing ?
I don't think there will be blood, but if it escalate that much I'm afraid Lotus will just hate her for good.
So far he's been pretty neutral. He did answer to her hissing once or twice, from the mezzanine to the stairs.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about forcibly breaking them up unless they are actually going to fight for reals. A "get away from me swat" is not a for real right, even if the older one changes up to the kitten then swats. Fight for real involving rolling around with horribly noises. I don't think they will do that, but just in case you could have a towel ready to help grab one without getting yourself scratched up.

RushiiSushi13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about forcibly breaking them up unless they are actually going to fight for reals. A "get away from me swat" is not a for real right, even if the older one changes up to the kitten then swats. Fight for real involving rolling around with horribly noises. I don't think they will do that, but just in case you could have a towel ready to help grab one without getting yourself scratched up.
Thank you for the advice. :)