Older cat/kitten interaction

sherrylynne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6 yr old cat scruffs my 9 week old kitten every time she irritates him. He holds her by the scruff while hunching over top of her. She cries every time, but once he releases her, she comes right back at him. He even dragged her across the floor by the scruff one time. In over 40 years of owning cats, this is the first time I have seen this behaviour. I couldn't post this on my phone, but will try to post the video in the responses to this post so you can see what I mean.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally speaking, its much better when a big cat is willing to pin a kitten than when the big cat acts all scared and hissy, because the later can really linger, while the former teaches the kitten boundaries. So hopefully they end up in a better place this way. Also, if the kitten was actually being hurt, as opposed to getting the equivalent of a head noogie, it wouldn't keep seeking attention. Mother cats carry kittens by the scruff, so that isn't a big deal either. So all is well.

I've not personally had the behavior myself either, and it definitely looks shocking. However, I do know you can trust the kitten to tell you if the big cat is crossing lines. If the kitten isn't afraid, you don't need to be.