Older Cat Holding In Urine/not Defacating Since Adopting New Kittens

Lisa Fajardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted two new kittens, and my 2 year old cat will rarely use her litter box, even if we feed her a lot and add water to her food. She also makes odd beeping noises that are hard to explain. They are sort of like humming noises? She hates the new kittens and only goes to the bathroom once a day, sometimes less. Please help!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have a litter box in a room far from the kittens? If not perhaps you could make her a little area with her stuff, a place the kittens can be shut away from for a good part of the day. If she's used to sleeping with you, it would be kindest to let her continue to do so. You can let the kittens sleep in their carrier in the bedroom with everyone else, but not in your first cat's place on the bed.

Check this out for help

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
While her strange behavior may well be related to the new kittens, I would suggest you have a vet check her out. Possibly she is constipated or has something else going on that is affecting her behavior. Then I would suggest keeping the kittens in a separate room from her so that they can get introduced to each other slowly.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have to agree with all of the above. If she is peeing & pooping less, for whatever reason, it's not a good sign. Have you checked around your house to make sure she is not going somewhere else?

Also, when you say she is making beeping/humming noises - is it only when she is around the kittens, or all the time, or when? Apparently, it is different from her purrs, I am guessing...

Other than the above, what other behavior makes you think she hates the kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisa Fajardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Have to agree with all of the above. If she is peeing & pooping less, for whatever reason, it's not a good sign. Have you checked around your house to make sure she is not going somewhere else?

Also, when you say she is making beeping/humming noises - is it only when she is around the kittens, or all the time, or when? Apparently, it is different from her purrs, I am guessing...

Other than the above, what other behavior makes you think she hates the kittens?
Thank you for the response. Yes it is different from her purring. Also, the litter box is kept separate from the kittens but she still gets scared if she goes to use it and hears them from the other room. When the kittens go near her, she swats and hisses. I feel terrible.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you had the kittens? Can you keep them in a separate room, or area of the home, and slowly re-introduce them to your resident cat. Cat introductions generally take a fair amount of time - weeks, not days.

Here are some TCS articles that explain the process. The first one, applies to your situation, however, do read the others too, as they may have some other helpful tips for you.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not abnormal at all for the resident cat, especially a female, to install manners, teach limits, to newcomers. as long as she is not actively stalking them and truly hurting them, drawing blood, everything is fine. She does need a quiet, private place to go to. A temporary litter box, food and water station set up far away is almost mandatory. If she continues not going the bathroom, she WILL be constipated and develop problems soon. The strange humm you hear, may be a warning for the kittens to back off, or a distress sound from her. Her whole world is turned upside down right now, but in time she WILL accept the kittens and even learn to enjoy them. It may take a couple of months. In the meantime, if she wants it, give her lots of extra attention, but don't force it on her if she doesn't, that would make things worse. she'll come around in her own time. My Chrissy had a bed on top the fridge. Find her some place she can retreat to, but still study them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisa Fajardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice! I will try and separate them again, and I will read the articles thoroughly and reintroduce them carefully.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember which ever room you give the kittens as their separate place is a huge place for them. Do not be tempted to hurry things because they are confined in a 'small' space. What looks small to you is huge to them. your size: room size :: kitten size : to room size.

Also right now they are spending a lot of time practicing their skills, climbing, fighting, rolling, wrestling, watching stuff, stalking, sleeping 17 hours a day. They've got plenty to do in that room.