Older cat grazes while kitten eats all his food.

beborice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I  have a new kitten (sammy) that has been with me for a month.  My older cat (ollie) is about 5 years.  My older cat is a grazer and has always been a picky eater.  Doesn't like wet food much either.  Sammy who is already almost 4 months eats everything and anything.  I started out with Kitten food but he seemed to like Ollie's food better so they are eating the same food.  My problem is the kitten seems to eat most of the food and I don't even know how much Ollie is eating.  He grazes so there is rarely any food left bc kitten has usually eaten it.   Ollie loves treats though and because I feel so guilty I know I am giving him to many.  I don't think its good for him.  It almost seems the treats have become the only thing he wants.  The wonderful thing is Ollie took to the kitten and really lets him have anything of his.

I am worried that Ollie will become unhealthy.  Any suggestions?

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe try feeding them their meals in separate rooms? If Ollie is only used to free feeding you will have to work on starting a feeding schedule. Then you will know who is eating what. You can try giving some canned once they are used to a schedule. If they are hungry they are more open to trying new foods.
Even older cats can learn to eat on a schedule and stop grazing.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Having an older cat who grazes and a kitten who gobbles is always an iffy problem. I agree with luvmy4 that feeding them in separate rooms is one way to monitor how much Ollie is getting.  You are going to have to cut down on the treats, though. Even though they are fairly complete nutritionally, and they say they can be substituted, that can be very expensive.

Start giving Ollie only 3/4 of the amount of treats, and substitute a little dab of wet food for it. Get something like Sheba in the small cans at first. It can be a long process, but Ollie will be better and live longer for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beborice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks.  Thats very encouraging  to hear about the grazing.  Ollie is a poor eater but believe it or not he is big.  He will only lick the gravy from can goods and leaves the food.  I use to through  the rest out eventually because then he was done with it he wouldn't go near it again.  Now I take the food part and chop it up and give it to Sammy and let Ollie lick out the grazy.  I use Blue Mountain which says 1/2 cup for Ollie's size.  How much do you think I should leave out before I go to work.  I live in a small apt and it's hard to separate the eating.  Ollie just walks away and Sammy finishes his and then starts on Ollie's.  I usually will pick it up but then worry about Ollie not eating all day as I am gone most of the day.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks.  Thats very encouraging  to hear about the grazing.  Ollie is a poor eater but believe it or not he is big.  He will only lick the gravy from can goods and leaves the food.  I use to through  the rest out eventually because then he was done with it he wouldn't go near it again.  Now I take the food part and chop it up and give it to Sammy and let Ollie lick out the grazy.  I use Blue Mountain which says 1/2 cup for Ollie's size.  How much do you think I should leave out before I go to work.  I live in a small apt and it's hard to separate the eating.  Ollie just walks away and Sammy finishes his and then starts on Ollie's.  I usually will pick it up but then worry about Ollie not eating all day as I am gone most of the day.
A 4 month old kitten should not be restricted in his eating- he should be given as much as he wants to eat unless he is clearly FAT (and I don't mean just slightly chub, i mean honest to god FAT). Kittens are still growing and should be able to eat until they are full at a minimum, if not free fed.  I don't favor free feeding adult cats ever, but I free feed all kittens until 6 months of age and would not recommend taking the food- separate from worrying that Ollie doesn't have enough, Sammy might  not have enough either, no matter how much you feel like he is eating.