Older Cat Biting New Kitten's Neck

heyyy_aboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am new on this site & I am hoping to get some help & advise.

Recently I found out my cat is not a female after three years & I found out because I got a new kitten who seems to be a young about 6-7 weeks female cat & my cat is trying to bite her neck. Now my cat is not neutered bc first of all, I didn't know she was a he so there's that. The next thing is that I am only 18 & I don't have the money right now to get him neutered so I am now working on finding the money & asking my parents for money isn't a option bc the cat is mine so I have to deal with it but at the same time, I now don't want to get my cat neutered if he gets the chance to be a father but here comes my issue. I don't think my cat will want to wait for the kitten to grown up & that's like 3 years waiting also I think I have read that it gets bad when cats are in heat.. my cat has always been a indoor/house cat bc I make sure to not let him see or smell other cats...I even chase the ones close by. That has come to the end now bc of the small female kitten. My cat tries to bite my kittens neck, so I let them have their own time out when one is the cage & the other out & switch every now & then. It is very exhausting!! I don't know what to do bc my cat meows all day to come out & be next to the kitten & the kitten wants to play with my cat so at this point I have no idea or clue what to do next. any suggestions?? please I need help. anything please.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the female is small he may hurt her, if she is 4 months old or older he may get her pregnant and she is way too young to have babies. I have had several too young ferals die in labor. He may be showing her dominance too, is he actually trying to mate, or just holding her down? The best thing to do is what you already know, have him neutered and her spayed when she is old enough. Maybe it would be for the best to rehome the kitten if you could find someone to take her. How do you know your cat is a male? by the act of grabbing the kitten by the neck? Females will do that too to teach a young kitten limits. they will even try to mate with the kitten if they themselves are in heat. It sounds like you haven't had your cat in for vaccinations either, or a checkup. that needs to be done. You will have to take responsibility and save towards having both neutered and vaccinated. See if you can make payments to someone. Please keep us informed!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat biting kittens neck is nothing. They do that to play. Although kitten is really young, so best to watch it and separate if the kitten seems totally miserable.

Unneutered male with female kitten? You have just a little bit to get one or both spayed/neutered or you are going to have problems.

I dunno where you live but in many places there are special programs, or at least special clinics that do it at below normal vet prices (still not cheap necessarily). You need to work the internet and search "low cost spay neuter" or maybe "spay neuter program" things like that. You can also tell us where you live, someone might be able to help more.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you actually want the male cat to have the chance to be a father?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi first off, here in CA USA you can get your cat spayed or neutered for 40$. Like they said google low cost spay neuter and your zip code or county & state.

Next line everyone said, the neck biting /scruff biting is often done (by both sexes) to teach kittens manners & dominance.

Lastly the least you need to go is arrange for her to be spayed at 4 months old & her to get her basic vaccines. He needs to be vaccinated & neutered ASAP. Besides taking away his chance at being a father, you are taking away his higher chance of dying from a cat fight, roaming and getting injured .... while in search of a female to mate.

Lastly I think it is irresponsible of your parents to let you keep both cats without giving them basic medical care. Since you are underage they should split some of the cost. Plus you think neutering & vaccines are expensive? I think when Chester got an a bite wound in his ear that got infected I think it cost $250 or $300 to get his ear lanced & cleaned, antibiotics, metal staples in his ears, some pain meds plus getting the staples removed! I can’t even guess how much Chester near brush with death where his kidneys almost shut down from ingesting poison cost my mom! (we think maybe antifreeze.) He stayed at the vet a few days, plus when he came home we had to give him a daily saline IV for 2 weeks.

Look at Chester’s nose that he got before he got neutered. That isn’t a trick of light! One nostril got torn in a cat fight (or bitten through) then healed with one nostril bit sticking up. At first it just looked super swollen & bruised black. By the time the swelling went down, his nose had already healing wrong. We asked the vet & she said it would hurt him more to snip the weird bit sticking up off his nose. Since it is just cosmetic, my mom decided to let it be. He is reformed feral. Ever wonder how those scarred beat up looking feral cats get that way?

Attachments