Older Cat Behavior With New Cat. I Think She Is Scared Of New Kitty?

spidermiss2426

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So some back story. Shiro is 4 years old and has been in our house just over 3 years. She came to us by some friends who had to move out of state rather quickly and couldn't take her with them. Since then she has been the only pet in the house with my roommate and myself. Roommate and I are actually really close friends so it is very much a "family" type unit here.

Anyway, roommate drives a garbage truck. We knew Shiro doesn't really like other cats (however, she loves her reflection in the mirror- her and the cat in the mirror are great friends!!) Roommate found a kitten inside his garbage truck early one morning. I got a call at 3am to come get the kitten. Normally with a wild kitten we would see if the mother came around- but if he had done that the kitten would have gotten killed- he had crawled into the engine after roommate pulled him out of the garbage truck itself. His toe pads were slightly burned as well but they are much better now.

Kuro, the new kitten, at the time was abut 6 weeks old and currently about 2.5 months, closer to 3 months old. Kuro has his first round of shots and will be getting his second round soon. Knowing that Shiro would have a little bit of difficulties with new kitten, we put Kuro in my room. Then we began introducing them slowly- I took Kuro in his little carrier and introduced them that way, and Shiro would hiss. So we then took a toy with Kuro's scent on it and gave it to Shiro. We let them smell other things of each others too. Then we got a very large pet playpen and in the daytime I put Kuro in that, which is in the living room and at night he goes back to my room.

At first Shiro hissed and growled almost the whole time. This has calmed down a LOT. So now I feel them together with Kuro and Shiro on the floor side by side. That is going well. We've also been playing with them at the same time but separately, a few feet apart. Slowly it is coming along, but even though new kitty loves Shiro and wants to play with her, Shiro still will hiss and growl at new kitten.

I honestly think that Shiro is afraid of new kitten. I only say this judging from the way she quickly jumps away from him, etc. We have gotten him blood tested for certain issues like FIV and rabies and such, and he's healthy in that department. It doesn't help that he is as bold as brass and wants to charge her. However, he will back down and let Shiro know she is the boss cat.

Shiro still has troubles though.But things are slowly, little by little, getting better. Today I played with the laser pointer with Shiro while new kitty ate a little snack a couple of feet away from her, which went well.

I've read it can be a few months sometimes for cats to get used to each other. I just wanted to see what you all think.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are doing well, all is going normally and you just need more time. The fact that your kitten is picking up on cues to some extent and not completely ignoring them and driving the older cat crazy is a great sign. Many kittens completely ignore cues, with only being held down and bullied a tiny bit teaching them manners. When the older cat doesn't have that in them, this kind of kitten can be a problem! So its great your kitten is a bit more mindful.

Yes, your older cat may be a little afraid, stranger danger, even though the newcomer is a kitten. That happens, for reasons I've never seen explanation of, its weird right, but for whatever reason, its common. It also usually has a component beyond stranger danger -- cats that have grown up without other cats coming and going often don't like getting jumped on, and they can be scared of playing, even with a kitten. It may fade away slowly with your older cat never really fully warming up, or you may find them playing together next week. Regardless, it will improve.

Good luck, hopefully they become true friends! Very possible!

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not surprised that the cats that lived as lone pets for several years are afraid of kittens; they sort of forgot how to live with their own kind and the jumping ball of fur may seem overwhelming/scary to them. If I lived with another foreign species and was introduced to the tiny human after several years, I'd be careful too :) and my ability to understand stuff is significantly bigger than cat's (allegedly). Granted, even when I live surrounded by humans, I'm afraid of human babies a bit :D So this is guessing only, but maybe one of the theories.

I agree that you're doing completely fine with the introduction. Good luck!