Older cat attacks kittens when they brawl

Felinesage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I’ve been fostering a mom and her litter for a while. When I had only one remaining foster kitten to adopt I got her two new kitten friends. I kept them separated at first until Maggie (remaining kitten) clearly wanted to always be with them. In the first few days of coliving I noticed if the kittens were brawling and making noises mom would come by and I thought it was maybe because she was worried for her kitten. However recently Maggie was adopted and I ended up getting two more fluff balls to help alleviate capacity at the sanctuary. They started to brawl and mom came by and seemed to want to attack them, her arm went up but I intervened before she got them. I was wondering what would explain this behaviour?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
did you noticed if she had claws out? If not, it was surely just to put them in order. Beating up fellow cats and relatives, with paw but non claws is common, to teach them some wisedom.

Otherwise, it could be a dominance behavior, her setting up whom is the master cat...

Observe what happens, if its not too violent, its teaching them rules.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Felinesage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure if she had full claws out but once I was holding the kitten while petting her (she usually just ignores the whole world if she’s getting pet) and she took a swipe and got my finger a bit so I do think she has claws out.