Older Cat And Kitten: Fighting Or Playing?

topher319

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So about 2 weeks ago, I adopted 2 cats: a 1.5 year old male Tabby named Axel and a 3 month old female Tortie Kitten name Brie. At the shelters recommendation, I introduced them together when I got home and they appeared to get along just fine when confined to a bedroom together (no hissing or aggressive behavior). Over the past few days however, they seem to be getting more rough with each other. They'll chase each other around, the little one will bat at the older ones tail, or walk up and bop him in the face. Usually it seems like she instigates but sometimes he'll pounce or charge at her too. Some of their "roughhousing" leads to him biting at her, going for the neck, legs and belly which causes her to squeak-meow (he hasnt drawn blood). At that point I usually yell and clap to break them up and if one keeps charging at the other after that (usually her when he tries to run away), they get a time out in the bathroom. When they are separated, they play with each others' paws under the door (again silently). They seem to be more open to fighting/playing/whatever with one another the last few days. I've still heard no hissing at one another and they can also play well together and he will groom her. As this is my first time with 2 cats (and a kitten) I'm concerned with how rough their play can become. He never seems to be fazed but she sometime gets a puffed tail after. Should I separate them and try to do a re-introduction? Or is it just a difference in size and strength that's making the play seem more violent?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats all normal and you dont need to yell or break that up. Its quite common for the older cat to pin a kitten and make it squeal. Sometimes its training to "leave me alone when I signal I don't want to play" and sometimes its normal play. Cats are predators, and pinning and play biting the neck simulates a hunting behavior.

Its quite common for first time owners to be worried about normal play, but the reality is that grown cats almost never hurt kittens. Let the kitten be your guide. If the little one shows no fear, never flees except during rough play and sometimes initiates then all is well.

What you are interpreting as overly rough play is the equivalent of a purple nurple or indian sunburn. Big brother little brother stuff. You can't stop that, and overall the relationship benefits the kitten tremendously.

You got a bit lucky to have them become playful so quickly and not to have any problems, even temporary ones, but then again, kitten plus cat under 2 years old normally goes pretty well.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think they just might be playing, especially since it sounds like the younger, smaller one is doing a lot of the instigating. Particularly so, since no fur is flying or blood being drawn.

See if this TCS article might help you decipher whether or not you are dealing with a 'fighting' issue.

Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

topher319

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your advice! I've only really felt concerned and like I need to act by the meows from the little one (she's a little thing still) so it looks and sounds rough. My last cat was an only cat so I'm learning about these cat interactions as I go. I'll let them continue to go at it and just keep an eye on them to make sure it stays playful and doesn't escalate to a full fight as she grows.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep an eye out for actual fighting. Some hissing and swatting is normal especially from the older cat.

Tortoisehells can have a bit of an aditude and he is probably just teaching her her behaviour is not ok/too rough like how children who rough house will teach each other what is too rough.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a 14 pound male and 7 pound female who are a year apart (the male is older). They can look quite rough at times but as long as there is no fur or blood flying they are fine. I sometimes tell them knock it off if they get too loud but they are pretty good at stopping before someone gets too upset.

View media item 420658
It does calm down as they get older. My girl is very loud when she playing so it can be tricky to know when the line is crossed with her. In contrast, when the two boys play it tends to be quieter and slower with bursts of activity.

View media item 421929

topher319

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well around 5am I heard some growling and spitting happening under my bed. I separated the two for today since I can't watch them at work and it sounds like escalation. I'll give them a few days to cool off then see how they react through a baby gate.

topher319

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So one last update (hopefully) , when I got home, Brie snuck into the bedroom when I went to visit Axel and the 2 sniffed each other with no signs of aggression. I decided to let them stay together as long as they didnt show any further signs of aggression and they behaved. After a few minutes, they were eating and drinking next to each other (there are 3 water and 3 food bowls around the house so this is a choice). They've continued to roughhouse and shes hissed once when hes pinned her down for too long but they then get up and continue on after. He was even grooming her today, after which I fed them both treats to reinforce the good behavior towards one another.