Old kitty urinating on floor

bridget

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an 18 yr. old kitty, Snowball.  Her health is pretty good for an old cat.  She is at least partially blind and the vet thinks she has had a series of small strokes.  Still, she gets around pretty well.  Snowball usually stays in our spare room where it is quiet, but comes out at times.  She jumps up on the couch, and until recently has gone to the basement to use the litter box.  Otherwise, she eats and sleeps and not much else, which is ok.  She has a kitty friend, Spooky, who was raised with her and he lays with her a lot.

Lately, she has been pottying on the floor in a corner of her room.  The obvious solution I know is to get a litter box for that room.  The problem is that we also have dogs, who cannot be allowed to raid the litter box.  Besides being disgusting, it makes them sick.  I don't know what to do except keep Snowball in the room with the litter box by closing the door, although I am thinking of a baby gate, so she can feel a little less like a virtual prisoner.  I am not sure if this is the right answer because I hate keeping her in there and also Spooky won't be able to visit (unless I keep him imprisoned in there too).  

Any ideas about what the right answer is in this situation?  

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Before you do anything else your cat needs to be seen by the vet.  Sometimes as cats age things happen to their bladder and kidneys,  She may have a urinary tract infection or she could have some degree of kidney failure, which sometimes happens in older cats.  If your vet checks her out and she is fine, then is the time to try some different things around the house to get her to stop. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bridget

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice.  I will make an appointment with our vet.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the advice.  I will make an appointment with our vet.
You are most welcome Bridget.  I hope your cat is okay.  I have never had a cat to live beyond age 14 and so I am in awe of your sweet kitty.

Please keep us posted here.  If it turns out not to be a health issue, there are some other things you can try.

bridget

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about this and I think it is not a medical problem as such, because she sometimes poops there too.  But I don't think it can be referred to as a laziness problem either since she is 18.  I am wondering if her limbs hurt or it may be a dementia problem or because of her blindness.  Truthfully, I don't want to take her to the vet for a urinalysis because they would have to keep her for a period of time. Also, I think she is too old and frail for medical procedures and tests.  I may be wrong about this, but I believe Snowball just wants to live in peace.  My main concern is whether it is cruel to keep her in one room.  She really doesn't come out often anyway, but I don't want her to feel isolated and ostracized.  Also, I am wondering how it will affect her if she is separated from Spooky

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also have an older cat who has a myriad of health issues. There can be many reasons why your old girl is not getting to the litter box. It sounds like a box in her room would be a very good idea. It might be difficulty remembering where her box is, the stairs, not being able to hold it, etc. I understand about the dogs and boxes. My daughter has the same issue and what they did was put a baby gate up in the door of the "cat room" (where all the litter boxes are) but raised just enough off of the floor that the cats could get under it but the dog couldn't. The cats could come and go as they needed, but the dog couldn't get in to raid the boxes. Perhaps that would work for you.

I do think that isolating her completely and preventing her from being with her buddy would be a bad idea. If she's already losing connections with you because of possible dementia/blindness/whatever, I believe it would be cruel to keep her buddy out.

Just my thoughts . . .

catmom5

bridget

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Catmom, that is an excellent idea about putting the baby gate a bit off the ground!!! I don't know why I didn't think of that!  I believe that is our perfect solution.  Thanks.

katiesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 18 year old kitty has been dealing with health problems too. She was sedated a short time to get some matts off and thats when trouble began. She was rushed two days later, being very sick, finding out that she had a severe urinary infection. Its been a slow recovery. She was having a hard time getting in and out of the litter box so I bought a long shorter box for her. I had to put plastic under it as she tends to just stand in it and pee. Overshooting. I don't know what else to do. Do you also have the same problem with your kitty? I wonder if your litter box is a high one and reason for her to find other places?  A trip to the vets is overwhelming for them, as it was for mine. Not sure all vets do this but mine inserted a needle into the bladder to retrive urine. I'm sure there has to be pain with it. Sometimes we have to do what we have to do to make sure they stay well.

bridget

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, our litter boxes have pretty high sides, so a shorter one is in order.  If she was younger, I would take her to the vet, no problem, but at her age, I don't want to put her through invasive, possibly painful procedures, and stress.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So how is your cat doing now.  I understand your concern about exposing your cat to more stress and invasive procedures.  If your cat has a urinary tract infection it will not go away on its own.  Be sure to pay attention closely.  If you see the cat has quit urinating, it is an emergency.  Crystals can cause a blockage which becomes life threatening in just a short time.  I have had two cats with urinary issues, one who has been totally blocked two times.  I wish you well with your cat and hope you find the solution to the problem.