Old girl bath?????

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Sandy made 19 this year.
She has arthritis in her back legs making it hard for her to keep as clean as normal.
I would give her a bath, but she doesn't like it, and I don't want to stress her out.
I try to brush her, but she's not to happy with brushing her back side.
I was thinking of wiping her down with baby wipes.
Any suggestions?????

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My old gal used to hate water, BUT... a warm squeezed out washcloth she LOVED! I would also pump a small foam bit of "Vet's Best" waterless catwash onto the cloth as well for deodorizing.
This is what I would try, too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl is at least 19 and doesn't do a great grooming job either, but she is indoor only, so that is a plus. She will let us brush her though.

I have used unscented hypoallergenic wipes when needed. Because use could be daily, or at least a few times a week, I would stay away from any soaps or ingredients that require rinsing/removal. These are what can contribute to drying out the skin. Less moisture also helps to prevent possible fur matting.

Make sure whatever you buy seals well, as a lot of these items can dry out over time in their containers.

I am not recommending/endorsing any of these products, but thought I'd give you a list to at least familiarize yourself with what is out there for cat wipes.
The 10 Best Cat Wipes for Eyes, Ears, Acne, and More (rover.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is 90% indoors.
I think I'm going to try baby wipes to see if she'll allow it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just watch which ones you buy. Not all baby wipes are safe for cats, despite the fact it would seem they ought to be. Here is just one opinion -
Are Baby Wipes Safe to Use on Cats? Vet-Reviewed Facts & FAQ - Catster
I shy away from using any topical or oral products that don't specifically say on the label "Safe for cats". I would be hesitant on using baby wipes as well until I'd read the label.
There are dry foaming shampoos made specifically for cats that do a very good job and are easy to use and have a pleasant non-perfumed scent.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shy away from using any topical or oral products that don't specifically say on the label "Safe for cats". I would be hesitant on using baby wipes as well until I'd read the label.
There are dry foaming shampoos made specifically for cats that do a very good job and are easy to use and have a pleasant non-perfumed scent.
an aside.....Reminds me of myself.. I thought Baby shampoo was good for MY hair if it was good for babies. I was using it and my salon asked me what different product I was using on my hair to cause such damage. it turns out the baby shampoo was far too strong for my hair with the sulfates in it. How much more should we get 'cat only' products for our little felines!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Sandy made 19 this year.
She has arthritis in her back legs making it hard for her to keep as clean as normal.
I would give her a bath, but she doesn't like it, and I don't want to stress her out.
I try to brush her, but she's not to happy with brushing her back side.
I was thinking of wiping her down with baby wipes.
Any suggestions?????
Maybe try a washcloth with warm water and or a mild baby wipe. Wipe first and wash cloth after.