Old fat cat pooping on the rug/floor.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He needs a vet visit. he probably has something going on down there. My vet prescribed some medication for my cat when this happened.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is not something related to pain from pooping because of straining or other digestive issues, it could be from arthritic pain. So, make sure you bring that up with the vet. Most cats position themselves differently when peeing and pooping, so the position he holds when pooping could be causing discomfort and so he avoids the litter box as he blames it for the discomfort not his body. Unfortunately, a lot of cats who are overweight and older are more greatly impacted by arthritic issues.

Whatever the vet does, also look into giving your cat an arthritis supplement to help with his joints. The most common ones are Cosequin and Dasuquin. Both come in either capsules or chews. The powder in the capsules can be sprinkled and mixed with canned cat food or lickable treats. The chews could be used as a treat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Almost always, when a cat does one thing in the box, and the other outside it, whichever that cat does OUTSIDE the box is a symptom of pain when eliminating, and, being cats, they associate the pain with the box, instead of their own bodies. If your cat was peeing outside the box, and pooping in it, I'd be thinking "UTI/stones." Since the opposite is true, something is happening with the other system...mild constipation, or arthritis in the hips are the usual culprits, especially in older cats. Thankfully, there are a host of fairly simple remedies! Let us know what the vet says, and how he's doing!