Old Cat_last Stage Kidney Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is old (16 years old). Since yesterday she suffered from pain and stopped eating and drinking. Today I took her to the vet. She mentioned she is too old, with last stage of kidney disease.She told your cat is too old and weak to eat or drink and she is dehydrated. She Injected some pain killer to her and gave us syringe to inject water in to back of her neck. Also some water to feed her by syringe to increase her appetite.

She said if kitty gets worse you will need to put her sleep.:(:(
The kitty is so weak and is sleeping. Anything I can do for her? :(:(
She was so good on Friday suddenly every thing changed in a day.

I can not even think to put her to sleep. But I can not see her in pain :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How well do you trust your vet? And, before this last vet visit, when was the last time she was seen by a vet? Normally, by the time cats reach senior stage (around 10 years old), they are seen at least annually for a full senior check up and a full senior blood panel. Was this ever done? If so, the blood panel should have indicated an issue with the kidneys long before now, and the vet should have forewarned you.

If any of this has gone on, then I would strongly recommend you get a second opinion and get copies of all her records from the current vet. There could be something else going on as well, because typically with kidney disease there is gradual decline, not overnight.

You could also consider consulting with an emergency/hospital vet to see if they would have some advice to offer. I have next to no experience with a cat with kidney disease, but I would think syringe hydration of water in the neck would not be enough to keep her going.

You might also mix some food with water to make a slurry that you could give to her by mouth, to at least add some nutrients. Or, Kitten Milk Replacer which I believe you can buy from pet stores. There is also some recipes you might be able to make yourself from Kitten-Rescue.com. Are there any foods that she loves you might try to entice her with - tuna, salmon? Maybe she would like Gerber Baby Food Meats (no additives)? All can be mixed with water to give through a syringe to slowly give to her against the inside of her cheek.

There are other members on this site that have dealt personally with kidney disease with their cats, I hope some of them will very soon seen your post and offer better information than I am able to give.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty could not handle all of the pain and we put her to sleep today :( She passed away at home and so fast with no torture like an angel. Tonight is really hard for us but I am sure tonight she is out of pain and she is happy.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for this loss. If she passed on her own, something was really wrong and she was a tough little thing and didn't show anything was wrong until nearly the end. It's rough to lose them but it's good to know, as you said, that their pain is gone. Unfortunately it's ours to bear but it does get better my friend :alright::wave3:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So sorry to read this sad news. We'll close the thread now out of respect for your loss, and we invite you to post a thread in tribute to your kitty in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.