Old Cat With Matting Fur.

oz'smum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I joined this site back in Feb 2005, a few months after getting Ozzy from Cats Protection, he’d been with them for a few months and was classed as hard to home, due to him not being very friendly, although not feral.

They guesstimated his birthdate as Jan 2000, he has semi long fur, and no matter how hard t tried to desensitise him to being groomed, I had to give up, and all his life he’s kept his coat in good condition. Until the past year or so, around this time last year he had to have a couple of teeth out, so as his fur was starting to mat, they combed him through while under anaesthetic. In October he had to go again, this time especially for a grooming under anaesthetic, as it was clear we weren’t going to manage his coat after having to have a course of antibiotics myself after he bit my hand, trying to cut a mat from his fur.

Yesterday he had to go through it again. At 19 yrs old I know anaesthetic isn’t good for them, but better than a skin infection. He’s now patchy, and clipped in parts, the nurse who treated him said his coat is waxy, so might be contributing to the matting.

If you’ve read this far, thank you. What I was wondering is, do any of you have any tips on how we can prevent, it postpone it happening again? I was wondering if cod liver oil supplement to might help, all suggestions gratefully received.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cod liver oil would be worth a try. I like to add coconut oil, myself. Thank you for giving that senior cat a real good home - it sounds like he had a rough history & not many would have kept him around. :cheerleader::heartshape::catlove:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is it at all possible, in his 'old age' he has calmed down some (maybe even likes cuddles more than he used to) and might actually let you brush him? You can try a stroke or two to start off and see if he might be more amenable nowadays?? Even doing a few strokes every day might help some. Perhaps give him a treat if you can manage to get a few strokes in?

Have you ever considered trying some natural calming products on him to help relax him a bit, before attempting a brush stroke or two? Things like the various Feliway products, or Bach Rescue Remedy which are drops you can rub into a cat's ear, which are used by many people to help calm a cat before a vet visit?
There are many different kinds, just do an internet search on 'cat calming products'. Not all work on all cats, so you might have to experiment a bit.

How do you manage to trim his nails??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oz'smum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. Is it at all possible, in his 'old age' he has calmed down some (maybe even likes cuddles more than he used to) and might actually let you brush him? You can try a stroke or two to start off and see if he might be more amenable nowadays?? Even doing a few strokes every day might help some. Perhaps give him a treat if you can manage to get a few strokes in?

Have you ever considered trying some natural calming products on him to help relax him a bit, before attempting a brush stroke or two? Things like the various Feliway products, or Bach Rescue Remedy which are drops you can rub into a cat's ear, which are used by many people to help calm a cat before a vet visit?
There are many different kinds, just do an internet search on 'cat calming products'. Not all work on all cats, so you might have to experiment a bit.

How do you manage to trim his nails??

He’s not a cuddly cat at all anyway I’m afraid, But he’s handleable, just in his own terms. I tried to get him used to being combed when we got him, he just bites at our hands, and when he did bite a few months ago, he really sunk his fang into me.

He rarely needs his claws trimming, he’s an indoor/outdoor cat, and there’s plenty of fences and trees for him to scratch on, he’s walking on paths too.

I have found some rubber grooming gloves, they don’t penetrate through his coat, but seem to be removing some loose fur. Maybe they’ll help.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a shower stall with a door, you may be able to groom him in there on a regular basis and avoid the vet grooming. Because there is no room to run, cats usually stay still for grooming and even bathing in this small space.

I have also had much less matting since increased the amount of wet food I was providing my cat and decreased the dry. More protein I think seemed to improve the silliness of her coat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I understand that he does not want to be combed, but if you can get to any sort of a happy medium there are mat breaker combs that work faster than a brush and will safely cut through the mats.

Kissamew

My attitude is inspired by cats....
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently bought this from Amazon, $21. I was able to groom through my oldest kitties fur with much less stress than when I use a Furminator type. Once I got through the matts I can use a normal plastic comb, the Goody brand kind, and I comb her a little bit each day. She's 14, and she doesn't tolerate a whole lot because of her old back pain. I comb the places she has trouble with the most. Somehow this tool cuts through the matts with much less aggravation. My next oldest cat does pretty good with it too. She doesn't like combing either. The youngest cat has smoother fur and no thick undercoat like the oldest two. She loves combing. I doubt I would ever need to use it for her. The big male cat of my avatar had a nice coat like that. He liked combing too. Some cats are just wooly I guess! All of them are short/medium hair.

GoPets Dematting Comb with 2 Sided Professional Grooming Rake for Cats & Dogs
GoPets.jpg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kissamew Kissamew : Thank you!! I just placed my order with Amazon. I have a blind feral whose thick, Persian type fur is horribly matted. About 5 years ago, I got him into a large crate & the vet was able to put him under and shave him but after that, he got very wild and wouldn't allow me near him. I can now sometimes scritch his ears when he is eating but I don't want to traumatize him again, even if I managed to crate him again. Hopefully this dematter will help.

Kissamew

My attitude is inspired by cats....
Young Cat
Purraise
Kissamew Kissamew : Thank you!! I just placed my order with Amazon. I have a blind feral whose thick, Persian type fur is horribly matted. About 5 years ago, I got him into a large crate & the vet was able to put him under and shave him but after that, he got very wild and wouldn't allow me near him. I can now sometimes scritch his ears when he is eating but I don't want to traumatize him again, even if I managed to crate him again. Hopefully this dematter will help.

I really hope this can work for you! When I comb Nola (the one that still needs more combing) I sit in the bathroom with her and keep the door closed. I just do 2-3 minutes and let her walk away from me. Then I coax her back and do a little more. Her fur is not long, but she has a wooly undercoat. I feel the matts when I pet her, but if you just look at her she doesn't look like she has any. She even purred when I first used the grooming tool and then she realized she was being combed and wanted to get away. (Ironic, she lets me trim her claws and put pretty nail caps on though. She likes looking at them, too.). She tolerates it better than the Furminator. I just have to get her hind legs and tail now. I think if you got the easiest parts on your kitty and cut out the worst knots he will feel better. I read on this site that one person said they have a comb between the skin and the knot and then cut the matts above the comb so kitty doesn't get nicked. Good idea to keep in mind! I don't like forcing cats until they are super stressed. It just makes them anxious and creates bigger issues. Maybe comb around his neck and head like petting if he tolerates it too. I let the kitties smell the comb with their fur on it and talk sweet to them, hoping it helps them like the comb.