Old Cat Versus New Cat. Help.

kitty0930

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a black 2 year old from the shelter about 2 months ago. My other cat is 13 and super sweet, but has never lived with another cat. She wasn't super pleased about the new arrangement, but definitely took it better than I expected. She mostly hangs out in the bedroom and ignores the new cat.

However, the new cat, who is so sweet to me and others, keeps running at my other cat, like they do when they run up on a toy. The new one has never growled or hissed at my other one, she (the new) just watches her (the original) then sneaks up on her and pounces. Then, my other cat (the original) hisses and freaks out.

This keeps happening and I don't know what to do. The new one doesn't ever seem to be malicious about it, maybe just wants to play? But it keeps stressing my original cat out, and keeps her holed up in the bedroom. Should I just let it be and they will eventually adjust or what?

Any help is appreciated.

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
your new cat is young and full of energy, she wants to play!! Your old one is a senior and does not want or have the enrgy to play with the young adult. This can lead to a lot of annoyance from both sides and is not good for long term relationships of the two. So my suggestion is: play with the young one so he is exhausted and does not feel the need to play with your older cats and provide more escape routes and cat trees and cat shelves to your older cat so she can get away from the younger one (this is very important if you want her to feel more secure outside the bathroom).

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi kitty0930 kitty0930 :hithere:Welcome to TCS :welcomesign:

Cat to cat introductions often take several months (or more), so you're actually doing pretty well to have even this level of acceptance in just 8 weeks. It's pretty normal to have these types of issues when integrating a young cat with a senior kitty too.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I agree with Letta Letta - lots of interactive playtime for the 2 year old is essential - you need to give her a positive outlet for all that youthful energy and exuberance. Make sure to (seperately) give your 13 year old playtime too - it's a great stress-buster, and will help her reaffirm confidence in herself and her territory.

Opening up more vertical space (using cat trees, shelves, tops of sturdy bookshelves etc) will help too, as its effectively increasing the territory from the cats' perspective. This alone can help ease some pressures, especially if done thoughtfully - using the vertical space to turn dead ends into escape routes. This will (hopefully) help your 13 year old to relax and feel more secure, as she'll always have a way out if she needs it.

These articles may help too:-
Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?

Lastly, Feliway is well worth a try. It can't do any harm, and it can make a big difference in helping restore feline equilibrium :winkcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty0930

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had posted the below content about 10 days ago, but I may need more help. I understand that I need to make sure my older cat has places to hide and higher shelves, but I don't know how long this will continue. I feel like my younger/new cat has gotten worse. Now, just about every time my older cat tries to walk on the ground, the younger cat runs at her. Never with huge claws out but definitely runs at her with a paw out and a little hissing. It's been 3 months now. I just can't stand that my older cat basically lives under the bed in my bedroom because she's scared. I don't need them to be friends but I need my older cat to be able to walk around without having to be scared she'll get jumped.

ORIGINAL POST:
I rescued a black 2 year old from the shelter about 2 months ago. My other cat is 13 and super sweet, but has never lived with another cat. She wasn't super pleased about the new arrangement, but definitely took it better than I expected. She mostly hangs out in the bedroom and ignores the new cat.

However, the new cat, who is so sweet to me and others, keeps running at my other cat, like they do when they run up on a toy. The new one has never growled or hissed at my other one, she (the new) just watches her (the original) then sneaks up on her and pounces. Then, my other cat (the original) hisses and freaks out.

This keeps happening and I don't know what to do. The new one doesn't ever seem to be malicious about it, maybe just wants to play? But it keeps stressing my original cat out, and keeps her holed up in the bedroom. Should I just let it be and they will eventually adjust or what?

Any help is appreciated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It isn't a real fight, and it sounds like it won't become one, however, your poor original cat is certainly NOT happy! Let try some of these techniques:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

Now, remember, these techniques DO WORK, but not on any set time table! Each pair of cats will be different, and you can expect it to take a MINIMUM of several weeks, up to several months.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?

The above are for your poor original cats, who has been regularly catching heck!

\Let me know how these work for you!