Old Cat Three Lives Used

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an old cat that is 17 years old. Have been on thyroid medication for two years. Last six months was showing kidney failure. Just wanted to share my experience to help others. Cats are suppose to have 9 life's, I am truly believing this.
1st life used: We had extremely bad smoke from forest fires. My cat went out for several hours and returned. Immediately went into asthma attach. Not fun. He laid on the floor with front paws in front with head between breathing heavy. Totally comatose, tong out. This went on for about an hour. When his breathing slowed down I started force tube feeding him on his tongue small amounts of farm animal electrolytes. This took about four hours. He totally recovered. I couldn't believe it as the vet stated most animals don't pull out of this.

2nd live used. Before thanksgiving, Nov. 25, he had a stroke/seizure. He vomited, pooped and peed. Found him totally out of it, comatose again. Just laying not moving for two days, just sleeping no movement. I again immediately started the electrolytes again. He would only take small amounts, so did this every hour. Set up a medic station, box with plastic wrap and comfortable towel, as he couldn't help but pee and poop where he lay. I did this for three days. On the third day I gave him can cat food. He loved it and licked at it. Not a lot but got some food down. He still couldn't get up on his feet. During this time I had to pick him up and bring him to the litter box to pee and poop. I bathed him to clean him up. Day five he started getting up and going to litter box on his own as well as drinking water and eating. I was on the phone with the vet during this time, and they told me to take him off his medicine and would be best for him that he should be put down. They thought since his back is arched meant he was in pain. I talked to my kids and husband and since he was improving they wanted me to wait. By the fifth day, he was able to get up and drink and eat on his own as well as going to the litter box. He could only walk a few steps and fall over but kept at it. He didn't have the head tilt but did have a hutch over back and back legs very weak. Now its January, he is still slightly weak in back legs but is now able to jump up on furniture and jump down clumsy. His back has straighten out and starting to act like he did prior to stroke. He was not a very loving cat but when ill he was the most loving cat purring, wanting to cuddle none stop. He is actually picking on our other cat again being back to his old self. This was not an easy task, but fortunately I work from home and able to put this effort. Was this the best decision, I can't answer that, I am just glad I got my cat back even though it might not be for much longer.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow. Hang onto this cat - he's a fighter and he will know when it's time to go - and that is apparently NOT YET. I commend you for sticking it out, and so does he for sure. Even if he has used up more lives than you know, it sounds like he still has a ways to go!

If you would like, post a pic and give us his name - that would be great!