Old cat, matted fur

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, my 16 year old cat has always kept himself impeccably groomed. He would never let me  brush him, but fortunately he took beautiful care of his coat himself. (I've been clipping his claws every two weeks for 15 years and he always acts like I'm trying to kill him!) Over the summer, I noticed the fur over his haunches has gotten terribly matted - is that an age thing? Maybe he's not as dexterous? Anyway, should I take him to a groomer or the vet for this? I'm thinking vet, since he's due for a checkup anyway. He won't let me do anything. Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Maxwell's Mom!!! Now if I can just get him in the carrier to get to the vet ....I always tell the vet we'll be there if I can get (whichever one it is) into the carrier. Has anyone tried the cat sling?

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Brokenheart.Have you ever tried taking your crate & sitting it not flat on the ground but sitting upright so the door is facing upward.Then you take kitty by the scruff like Momma kitty would and lower kitty back feet first into the kennel.I have had to do this many times before with kitts that were afraid.Yes you close the door right away of course & then lower it down flat on the floor.Did this with many very young  feral kittens as well.Although they were little toughies fighting for their lives it worked like a charm.You'll get some smarties who'll spread their back legs so they won't fit it but most will go right in back legs first.Hugs C.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'll try that!

I always think it's so funny how they resist like crazy getting INTO the carrier beforehand, but when the vet is done they can't get back into it fast enough.

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'll try that!

I always think it's so funny how they resist like crazy getting INTO the carrier beforehand, but when the vet is done they can't get back into it fast enough.
I know i thought that was hilarious. I actually had to close the cat carrier door so my kitty doesnt go back in. We were waiting around for a while at the vet and he just wanted to go back home! Lol. And from my last couple experiences with a feral and a stray, having the carrier upright did help greatly.

Last edited: