old cat being too picky and getting thin - food question

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is the one thing that would always get my CKD kitty back to eating again. I was going to mention it but then read your last post. Please do try this...it worked wonders for us.
Ok.. Does your vet provide supplies? Id like to buy onlibe. Any recommendations?
Thanks

KatherineE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We also had good luck with B12 injections for perking up an appetite.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would buy my supplies from my vet. They didn't over charge, so I never felt the need to go elsewhere, so I don't know where a good place to get them online is. A kit (lactated ringer bag of fluids and line) was about 20-25 dollars. You can reuse the line, so additional bags were about 10 dollars. A box of 100 needles was also about 10 dollars (do not reuse needles). When we needed a new line, I would just by the kit again.
I would at least get the first kit from your vet though. They can show you how to properly assemble the line and needle, being careful to not contaminate the ends that meet, and show you how to do the actual insertion of the needle and such. Administering subQ fluids aren't the same as quick diabetes injections, so it's good to have a walk thru first, especially if like me, you have issues with needles;):p.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need a prescription for the fluids to give sub-q fluids. You can buy the needles and IV set-ups on the internet. That website I keep referencing actually lists the best places to buy based on prices and also says the gauges of needles, etc.

Since fish is typically high in iodine, it isn't really recmmended for cats with hyperthyroidism, but you could ask your Vet about the repercussions of feeding it if that's all your cat likes.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well we're going to tge vet. I woke up to find large vomit puddle withbright red spots and one very dark black spot separately. I called the er vet who said it could be normal if he vomits everyday. But im taking him in to get this settled. Get tge fluids etc. Im thinking though if i should wait till tge am tomorrow abd take him to regular vet who has his past numbers !!!! I think that's important to know correct. There's no way to get them today. If i can't get in to normal vet tomorrow... Ill get him to er vet then.
Hes fine otherwise. Loves his dry food. (I hate it)

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well we're going to tge vet. I woke up to find large vomit puddle withbright red spots and one very dark black spot separately. I called the er vet who said it could be normal if he vomits everyday. But im taking him in to get this settled. Get tge fluids etc. Im thinking though if i should wait till tge am tomorrow abd take him to regular vet who has his past numbers !!!! I think that's important to know correct. There's no way to get them today. If i can't get in to normal vet tomorrow... Ill get him to er vet then.
Hes fine otherwise. Loves his dry food. (I hate it)
Hes on fluids since yesterday. Is it ok to squeeze bag to maje it go faster... I felt like isnt dripping the whole point.?
Anyway they gave me purina nf. He licked wet and loved the dry. He was scratching my bathroom door for more. I hate this rx dry food. So i didn't want him to only eat this. So i left him various food overnight. Not sure what my other cat ate.
By morning though.... He didn't want anythong. Worse now than ever before. He did nibble the dry nf... He walked around. Drank a lot more than usual!!
Would fluids have caused this??? He did vomit last night. Not food abd no blood.
Vet says he is not Making red blood cells abd was going to put him down yesterday. Should i ask for Erythropoietin?
Thanks