ok tidbits for treats?

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When trimming meat for stews and such, what's good to toss the kitten? Matt could care less, being a can-fed cat and previously a kibble-monster-he only eats chicken...but kitten was feral and loves his tidbits, which I'm happy to give.

Can he have the fatty bits, or are they bad for him? I'm assuming bones are bad? lean is chewy and should clean his teeth, so I give him that already. I do already know that raw fish is bad- I read it depletes essential nutrients, so I only feed fish cooked and not buttered.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fatty bits are fine, but be aware that they are going to be calorie dense. It's probably fine while he's still a growing kitten, but you may need to adjust his other food as he grows older if he starts gaining unwanted weight. Raw bones are fine, especially the smaller softer bones like chicken ribs, the two smaller parts of a chicken wing. Cooked bones should never be fed. A little bit of fish, either raw or cooked, is also fine. A lot of fish can lead to problems. A relatively inexpensive treat you could get for him is chicken gizzards/hearts. Both are nutritious little snacks. Just remember to keep all his treats together at less than 15% of his total diet.