Ok, Ginger's getting wierd. (long)

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand that she's still a little traumatized from being trapped wherever she was for however long she was trapped. I know that she's going to have some issues, at least for a while, but there are some things that are just worrying me. I've spoken to a vet and he's basically just saying "wait and see".

Ginger has started suckling. When she curls up on DH or I to go to bed, she'll start kneading her paws. That much is normal. Only now, she uses her claws a LOT, which is NOT normal for her, and she'll push her nose into whatever small crevice she can find (usually a crooked elbow or an armpit) and start trying to suckle. She drooled all over me last night. She hasn't done this suckling behavior since she was 4 or 5 months old. It's been over a year, and she's doing this again. This means she's stressed, right?

She's not as food aggressive as she was (thank goodness). She will eat with the other cats, but anytime they eat she has to join them. It doesn't matter if she just finished eating. If someone else goes to that food bowl, she's snacking with them.

And she's hyper-alert. She doesn't stop looking around. I noticed this particularly when she's sharing canned food with the others. The other three bury their faces in the food and are oblivious to any outside stimulation. On the other hand, it's difficult to get Ginger to focus on the food at all. She'll lap up a bit, then sit up and look around the kitchen. Lean down and take a bite or two, sit up and look around the kitchen. It's worse if one of us is in the kitchen with her. She's constantly trying to watch us and see what we're doing.

And she sniffs EVERYTHING! I'm serious, her nose is constantly going. It has been since she came back. I figured she'd adjust, but no. She sniffs our hands, or faces, the couch, the ottomans, the carpet, the doorways, the walls, the clothes hamper, the tv (that was interesting last night...). Oh and geez, let one of the cats come in from outside -- Ginger's nose is right up their rear end, and she's sniffing them from head to tail. They've gotten irritated with her once or twice and laid back their ears, even batted at her.

I've got a feliway plug in going because I AM packing right now, and their environment is changing. Everyone else though seems quite content. I don't like the idea that Ginger is so stressed out. I can't figure out how to ease her down any, or take away stress, or just help her adjust.

I am NOT getting rid of her -- not in a million years. But this "new" Ginger isn't very manageable, and I need some way to help her get back to her old self.

Any help I can possibly get would be fantastic. I've even tried training her to do tricks, like I trained Loudmouth, because I figured that if I gave her something to focus on it would give her an outlet for some of this nervousness. But she's too active, she can't sit still, no attention span whatsoever, unless she's suckling. Then you can't stop her for anything.

Does anyone have any advice for my very anxious kitty who is tremendously glad to be home, but seriously needs to calm down?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't sound like a stressed cat to me. My Ichi behaves like your Ginger. He was one of the 4 orphans I rescued and the only one who still will suck (although it is getting rare). I think your Ginger is a normal cat with a dominant trait and showing more independence than the others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ginger is still recovering from being lost to us for at least 2 weeks. She came back with a gaping wound in her neck which had to be cleaned and stitched, and far underweight and dehydrated. She was starved, hurt, and apparently alone for at least the better part of 2 weeks.

I've had her literally since before she was born, since I rescued her mother. I watched her when she was born and I've seen her grow and change. I know what her "normal" behavior was before she vanished, and this is not it. She was an attention loving but quite and passive cat. She was the exact opposite of dominant. Where once she was the quite, calm cat that would nearly get sat on because she was so "under the radar", now she is the excessively alert, pushy and demanding cat that is starting "tag" matches with the other cats. (Tag matches that often end with Ginger getting pinned by a much larger and stronger Smudge, and Ginger crying her head off to be rescued.)

I agree that there is a lot of "wait and see" to this situation, but I want to help her the best that I can. I know this isn't normal compared to who she was before her "adventure". I just want to know how likely it is that this new behavior is the new Normal for her, and if I can do anything to help her readjust.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think time will tell. She may never be the same. Just be prepared for that.

In the meantime, if she were mine I would feed her by herself to cut down on stress amongst the cats. I would do rigorous play sessions because I know how much it helps my cats emotionally. At least an hour a day of playing with you alone. Let her get comfort from suckling and kneeding as much as she needs to.

We don't know everything she went through but what we do know is bad enough....I feel so bad for her....lots of TLC.
Time will tell.

Rocko stopped needing kneeding sessions with me on a daily basis -multiple times a day after a year of him being home. Fiona was a highly stressed cat ffrom living on her own outside for way to long. She also benefited from long daily play sessions. I didn't have to do them so much after a few months. Whenever I see her getting wound up and stressed I bring back those intense play sessions and she calms down alot.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you have to consider how extremely upsetting the packing must be to her - she definitely knows things are changing, and, in her case, the last big change she experienced was not good. I'm with the other folks - just keep providing her love and as much exercise and attention as you can, lots of Feliway diffusers, and just being her 'rock', if you would - a source of unchanging love and patience. I know it's hard.

Oh, when they're by themselves, do you leave any soft music or NPR or something on for them to listen to? I know that helps my kitties.

Good luck to you - it's got to be tough just wishing you could fix everything for her right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the replies. I even ended up calling Petsmart and talking to the trainer there, hoping to get a little insight into her behavior. (a lot of good that did. -sigh-)

Ginger certainly gets more than her share of love and attention. So that much I'm already doing right, I guess. She sits on or near me 24 hours a day almost. Anytime she wants in my lap, she's allowed. She is so hyper-alert that Hubby went and got her a laser light. If she so much as THINKS she saw that little red light, she's in psycho hunter mode. She drove me crazy last night: there was a moth flying around the ceiling, and Ginger was following it all over our place, half crouched, staring at the ceiling, and meowing at the moth. (because apparently if she yells at the moth enough, it will come down so she can catch it.
)The other cats of course just ignored it. No interest whatsoever. I finally had to pick Ginger up and lift her up so she could catch it when it landed on the wall. After that she was contentedly munching on moth wings, and ended up getting those dusty scales all over her face.

We had to work together to trim her claws after she got done Nomming the moth. She had scratched both of us up pretty well while she was chasing the freaking moth. My normally careful and gentle girl is not so careful and gentle anymore. She didn't enjoy it, but once Hubby was giving her chin scratches she tolerated it.

I can't afford a "lot" of diffusers, but I have 2. Our apartment is rather small anyway so I think 1 is ok. I'm saving the other one for the new place, so she has some comfort there too. I do play something for her (and for me, ha ha) just about 24 hours a day. Rainymood.com is an endless loop of a thunderstorm and lots and lots of rain. (you can also leave that tab open and do other web surfing, even playing some of your own music to it. Let me tell you, some slow jazz with that rain is heavenly)

Ginger has only been on her own maybe an hour since she's been back. If I'm not home, Hubby is. We are really both trying to comfort her as much as possible. Hubby though is getting a bit jealous, because even though she still loves him and goes to him for attention, she's gotten very clingy to me. This is also causing jealousy with the other cats too. I just don't feel like I'm equipped to deal with 1 manic cat, 3 jealous cats, and a jealous hubby!

Ginger got fed on her own this morning, and I think it went just a little bit better. She still looks around and has to check out everything every 2 seconds, but when she was done she went to sleep.

Keep the anit-stress suggestions coming. Everyone here will appreciate it. Thanks, everyone.