Oily Skin/fur?

Meowster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet took one snippet of a look and suggested to wipe it down daily with water on a paper towel, I'm not pleased with the response and it doesn't seem to do much either. It's not as bad as it was a week ago but it's collecting lots of dirt and is hard to keep clean here's some pics it's hard to hold her still she dislikes me as it is!

Attachments

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like what one of my boys gets, feline acne... gently wiping the chin to keep the area clean is a good idea. Unless it gets infected, there's no real treatment for it and your vet has given you decent advice without charging you for pointless and unnecessary treatment.

Also make sure to use stainless steel food and water bowls, get rid of any plastic. Some cats with acne can tolerate ceramic dishes, others cannot. Mine is ok with a pyrex dish. But definitely no plastic, and get rid of any rubber grips on stainless steel bowls.

If it gets really bad and he's scratching it and it's badly inflamed or infected, then vet treatment may be required.

HungryPandaCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm using a stainless steel bowl and my cat also has chin acne. My vet actually said she might be allergic to stainless steel an advised me to switch to ceramic. I'm gonna switch to a glass bowl and see if that helps.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little white cat had feline acne on her chin like this, after wearing a cone for months :( I used a gentle cat shampoo and a wash cloth and just gently washed her little chin every day for a few weeks. It cleared up and no more problems.

I do use ceramic water bowls, i soapy water wash and refill daily. for dry food i use paper plates, once the food is gone throw away and use a clean one to refill. Wet food i use those little tea cup saucers, then they can go in the dishwasher.

These are the things we did to help my little girl. some cats can get infected and have a lot of problems with acne, just like people. thankfully mine didn't get too bad, and yours doesn't seem to be either right now. Soapy wash cloth, then wipe with a clean wet one to get the soap off once a day if possible. And clean fresh bowls :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demi had black specks on his chin. I figure it was either fleas or mites because Frontline Plus on the back of his neck once a month got rid of it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I noticed she wears a collar and she could be allergic or have a reaction to it. Do you take it off and clean the area and/or the collar regularly?