Odors that stink

jediskipdogg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a problem in our house, well, multiple problems. But I only need help with one of them now.

We have 4 cats, and boy do they stink up the basement. The worst part is one of them likes to use the carpet in the basement as her litterbox. We have tried everything for a year to stop her, however, we can't. So we are pulling the carpet up and putting a tile floor down.

Well, our basement just stinks, partially from the carpet with some pee in it and from having 4 litter boxes (my mom refuses to change litter.) Therefore I was looking at air purifiers, like the ionic breeze and such. Has anyone used one of these for any sort of odors that could be similar to cat odors and has it worked? If so, which ones do you and do you not recommend?

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JediSkipdogg

We have a problem in our house, well, multiple problems. But I only need help with one of them now.

We have 4 cats, and boy do they stink up the basement. The worst part is one of them likes to use the carpet in the basement as her litterbox. We have tried everything for a year to stop her, however, we can't. So we are pulling the carpet up and putting a tile floor down.

Well, our basement just stinks, partially from the carpet with some pee in it and from having 4 litter boxes (my mom refuses to change litter.) Therefore I was looking at air purifiers, like the ionic breeze and such. Has anyone used one of these for any sort of odors that could be similar to cat odors and has it worked? If so, which ones do you and do you not recommend?
You should try a more expensive litter to start but nothing beats scooping at least once a day. If the litterbox is dirty then the cat isnt going to use it. ITs no big secret. (Humans are the same way/I cant tell you how many times I have been out at a bar and the bathroom is FILTHY and I jsut said to hell with it and went out to the parking lot and pissed between cars.) One the carpet is pulled and urine smell is gone and you start cleaning the box once a day the problem should go away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jediskipdogg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by touro1979

You should try a more expensive litter to start but nothing beats scooping at least once a day. If the litterbox is dirty then the cat isnt going to use it. ITs no big secret. (Humans are the same way/I cant tell you how many times I have been out at a bar and the bathroom is FILTHY and I jsut said to hell with it and went out to the parking lot and pissed between cars.) One the carpet is pulled and urine smell is gone and you start cleaning the box once a day the problem should go away.
I told my mom that and she doesn't want to buy the more expensive stuff even though I know that's the answer. She thinks an air purifier machine would be better.

jasminesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An air purifier machine won't really solve the problem and it is still expensive. If you invest a few extra dollars in good litter and scoop daily, there shouldn't be a problem. The litter needs to be completly changed about every two weeks and the boxes washed out. I have also found that covered boxes help with the smell somewhat.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jasminesmom

An air purifier machine won't really solve the problem and it is still expensive. If you invest a few extra dollars in good litter and scoop daily, there shouldn't be a problem. The litter needs to be completly changed about every two weeks and the boxes washed out. I have also found that covered boxes help with the smell somewhat.
Wow
I think I might be over doing it I have two cats that use two litter boxes and I completely change and bleach them every day.
Anne

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you can ever be too clean

I scoop mine at least twice a day, and wash the pans once, sometimes twice a week depending on how dirty they are (for instance Max has had diarrhea this week due to antibiotics, so I've washed more often to stop it smelling).

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
As soon as Ive noticed Sleeves has done a number 2 me or my partner (usually me...) gets it out ASAP. I wouldnt like to go to the toilet if it hadnt been flushed... so I suppose Sleeves wouldnt either? I also change the litter every 2 or 3 days... as soon as it looks like it needs changing, and 9 times out of 10 as soon as I put the clean litter back down he will go to the toilet in it, as if he's been holding onto it because he didnt want to go in it while it was dirty!
Also if you leave the poo in there, theres more chance of him getting it on his feet when he goes the next time.
I think you should maybe ask your mum how she would feel about going to a dirty toilet all the time? these cats cant be blamed for what they are doing...

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only way to effectively prevent litterbox odor is to keep the box clean. Period. Air filters won't stop it. If you use chemical air fresheners, then you'll just be smelling chemical scent and cat urine & feces.

Click here for a link that gives a good explanation about how to economically maintain a clean litterbox. There's even a little video showing how fast & easy it is. I've priced the litter she recommends on the site at Petsmart, and it's only about $11 for a 40 - lb bag.

Maintaining a box properly will control odor - and the cats (as well as the human members of your household) will be happier & healthier for it. It only takes a few minutes a day, as long as you keep the boxes full enough, have the right number of boxes for the number of cats you have, and maintain the boxes consistently.

Perhaps you could show your mom the linked page? And if she won't maintain the boxes, you could help with it. Your cats (and you) deserve a clean environment. Once everything is set up right, it really isn't hard to maintain.

Edit:
Removing the carpet is probably a good idea, since it's been heavily soiled. After the carpet has been taken up, you'll want to use a good enzyme solution from the pet store on the floor to neutralize remaining odor. Don't use any products containing ammonia, because it closely resembles some of the odors in cat urine, which may prompt the cats to go there again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jediskipdogg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do help clean it when I get home from work each day, around 3 pm. I think most of the smell is from the carpet problem. However, it still does smell like litter boxes and the little has no fresh smell too it. Is there anything you can add to litter (since I know telling my mom to switch won't help) to make it smell better? I know some litter has cedar chips in it and there are many other kinds, but is there anything I could add to the litter my mom buys to help with the smell?

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been recommended by a breeder the product Zero Odor. Also these sorts of cleaners break up the enzymes which attract the cats back to refresh their scent. In order to break bad habits you need to completely eliminate any trace of it and there are products for that. Anyway I've just ordered Zero Odor so I can't speak personally but it came to me highly reocmmended. She said you would never know she had a multi cat household. You can also spray it directly into the litter box. The same thing used in hospitals for cleaning and specifically to eliminate odor. You can also spray it directly into the air.

http://www.zeroodorpet.com/

We've used Arm & Hammer and really like it as well.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by touro1979

gross