Odes To My Toads!

Chryssabella

Catsle named Catarina
Kitten
Purraise
Here's my two toads just doing their usual thing in their aquarium. The first one really seems to love the little tree I gave them when I first caught them. He's usually seen sitting on top of it as if sitting on top of a mountain like a billy goat or hiding underneath it like a hermit crab. The second one you can barely see loves to burrow into the mix of sand and dirt I've provided them. I call it "Toad Hide and Seek" because when he actively hides I can't find him unless I comb through the sand and dirt which gets messy. The hider toad quietly croaky at me when I handle him. The climber toad is just plain indifferent when I handle him.

20180222_112613.jpg
20180222_112707.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chryssabella

Catsle named Catarina
Kitten
Purraise
Their actually both about the same size. The currently hiding is just a little bit smaller but not by much really. I am planning on posting more pictures of them here.

It's winter time here so they exist off store bought crickets. Personally I've always thought hand caught grasshoppers offers more for the toads. During summer time I also catch non venomous spiders for them. I've seen them eat bees before. However I try to steer clear of bees. I don't like the thought of them stinging my babies going down. They also love giant flies, Dragon flies, Butterflies, and smaller frogs. I don't really feed my toads smaller frogs I just know about this because I attempted to cohabit my toads and tree frogs. Suffice it to see the toads gave both me and my tree frogs quite a shock as the toads unsuccessfully attempted to eat the tree frogs. Didn't work though tree frogs might be small compared to toads but they are too big to easily eat. The toads won't bother eating anything that proves too big to go down.

I have successfully cohabited toads and salamanders. They''ll eat, burrow, bathe, soak, sun, and sleep together. I don't have salamanders right though just the two toads. I probably get some this summer though when it warms up and they come out.

I used to have three toads but one died so now I only have two.

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! That face in the first picture just kills me! I love toads lol! Never had one, but I always make sure to pick them up out of the road on my summer night walks.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
An ode to toads! A toad ode! I love it!

Do they make “ribbet” noises at all? :hyper: