Odds Of Survival For A Stray Kitten Taken Indoors And Released Again

Skepticmind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I have been Googling hard to find an answer to this question, but nothing so far. So I decided to ask this here!

What are the odds of survival for a stray kitten who has been taken indoors (to heal his illness) after being released outdoors again? He's about 5 months old and is completely healthy and strong, but a little bit shy and scared. He's been kept indoors since 13 weeks ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skepticmind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
More details:
I found this sick and injured kitten 13 weeks ago. Two broken legs, broken hip, and seriously infected with Calicivirus. I waited for a while but his mom did not show up. So I took him to the vet and brought him indoors to take care of him. He has recovered and is in great condition now. The problem is I live with my parents and they hate cats. I've spent the last few weeks quarreling, arguing, trying to change their mind, but it seems impossible. I'm looking for someone to adopt him, no one yet. I might be forced to release him outdoors again, I'm so worried.

Any tips or suggestions to increase his chances of survival would also be highly appreciated!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is building a catio an option? It would be a patio that is enclosed so that the cat is outside the house but in a safe enclosure. I have an aviary that would probably be the minimum size you would want to go....
The problem here is that the kitten was very young so he doesn't have the skills to survive. If we were talking an older cat who was already established outside (2 or 3 years old) when the injury happened he would have a better chance. He would know how to get food and how to survive. It would still be a tough adjustment but he would manage. A kitten though, he was in your home during his formative months and doesn't have the skills.

Finding a new home really is his best chance for survival. Baring that you need to continue to feed and set up an outdoor shelter for him. He doesn't know how to hunt, he doesn't know how to forage, he just doesn't have the skills a feral cat would have. I would place his chances of survival at 15% if you let him go and don't continue to provide food and shelter outside. Even if he figures out how to live outside most strays won't live past 2-3 years old. My neighbor just fed ferals, no vet care, and there was rarely a cat who lived past 2 with about 90% of the kittens dying before a year. It is tough being an outside only cat and life expectancy for one without a reliable food source is low.

If you provide food, shelter and continued vet care he could probably live happily outside for several years. Obviously, indoors is safer and will give him a better life.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have to put him outside again, make sure he's neutered and fully vaccinated first. That will help his survival chances the most. But I don't think tame cats should be put outside :/. They're in too much danger from evil humans. But I also know it's sometimes unavoidable.

Have you contacted all cat rescues and no-kill shelters? Put ads up at the vet's office on craigslist, etc.?

mysticmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are wanting to release him outside, go for it !! You could also keep the cat as an outside cat, just keep some food around during the daytime. Also having him neutered will decrease the chances of him running off. I have an outside female that I rescued from a gas station. I had her spayed and kept her some food outside during day time hours, a heating pad for winter and some TLC. She was already about 7 months old and just had a litter of kittens when I found her (she was skin and bones and no kittens to be seen) so the odds of her being "happy"as an indoor kitty were slim to none. She is a very spoiled outside hunter but as long as she is happy so am I. :)

Skepticmind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is building a catio an option? It would be a patio that is enclosed so that the cat is outside the house but in a safe enclosure. I have an aviary that would probably be the minimum size you would want to go....
Thanks for your thorough response! I live in an apartment, so practically the "catio" is not an option :(

The problem here is that the kitten was very young so he doesn't have the skills to survive. If we were talking an older cat who was already established outside (2 or 3 years old) when the injury happened he would have a better chance. He would know how to get food and how to survive. It would still be a tough adjustment but he would manage. A kitten though, he was in your home during his formative months and doesn't have the skills.

Finding a new home really is his best chance for survival. Baring that you need to continue to feed and set up an outdoor shelter for him. He doesn't know how to hunt, he doesn't know how to forage, he just doesn't have the skills a feral cat would have. I would place his chances of survival at 15% if you let him go and don't continue to provide food and shelter outside. Even if he figures out how to live outside most strays won't live past 2-3 years old. My neighbor just fed ferals, no vet care, and there was rarely a cat who lived past 2 with about 90% of the kittens dying before a year. It is tough being an outside only cat and life expectancy for one without a reliable food source is low.

If you provide food, shelter and continued vet care he could probably live happily outside for several years. Obviously, indoors is safer and will give him a better life.
That's what I had guessed...I'm still trying to find someone to adopt him or a shelter. Thanks again!

Skepticmind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have to put him outside again, make sure he's neutered and fully vaccinated first. That will help his survival chances the most. But I don't think tame cats should be put outside :/. They're in too much danger from evil humans. But I also know it's sometimes unavoidable.

Thanks, I will get him vaccinated ASAP. Not sure about neutering though, is it safe to neuter a stray cat? (in case I have to leave him)

Have you contacted all cat rescues and no-kill shelters? Put ads up at the vet's office on craigslist, etc.?
There aren't many animal shelters in my country, and they're not in good conditions. Most of them are mainly for dogs, some of them have dedicated a room to cats and keep them in little cages. I'm not sure if that's any better than being left outside :/
I've put up a lot of ads, I will be doing more. But it doesn't seem to work. Thanks anyway :)

Skepticmind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are wanting to release him outside, go for it !! You could also keep the cat as an outside cat, just keep some food around during the daytime. Also having him neutered will decrease the chances of him running off. I have an outside female that I rescued from a gas station. I had her spayed and kept her some food outside during day time hours, a heating pad for winter and some TLC. She was already about 7 months old and just had a litter of kittens when I found her (she was skin and bones and no kittens to be seen) so the odds of her being "happy"as an indoor kitty were slim to none. She is a very spoiled outside hunter but as long as she is happy so am I. :)
If I leave him in a nearby park and provide him food from time to time, do you think he will stay around and not get lost?
When he's in a new environment he becomes scared and tries to hide. I once took him to this park to let him play 2 months ago, he kept approaching the corners and eventually tried to escape into the yard of a nearby house.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure about neutering though, is it safe to neuter a stray cat?
Yes, absolutely. It will keep him from getting into fights about mating rights with other tomcats, so his life will be much better. Plus it'll keep him from fathering thousands of unwanted kittens.

Are you in the US? If so, it's illegal to dump a cat in a park (or anywhere really). I was thinking you could just keep him as an outdoor pet, but if you're in an apartment I guess that won't work. If you leave him in the park he'll probably try to get back to your place.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think releasing him outside to fend for himself is cruel. He is used to a home. He needs a different home if he can stay in yours.
And yes, neuter him regardless.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I leave him in a nearby park and provide him food from time to time, do you think he will stay around and not get lost?
When he's in a new environment he becomes scared and tries to hide. I once took him to this park to let him play 2 months ago, he kept approaching the corners and eventually tried to escape into the yard of a nearby house.
If you can't keep him and are going to put him outside you would want to get him neutered first. Then set up a feeding station nearby where you can feed him twice a day. Start by feeding him outside and bringing him back in after feeding. Each day leave him outside longer with you nearby before bringing him back in. Over the course of a month you do more outside and less inside until he adjusts and knows the feeding schedule. Ideally you would want to go at the same time each day to put down food and make sure he is actually eating it so you don't end up feeding every stray in the neighborhood. You also need to set up a shelter for him in the colder months; it can be as simple as homemade or something store bought (check feral shelters online for instructions).

If you release him in a park he likely will be gone within days as it probably already has established critters who will either eat him or chase him off. If you do not neuter him before releasing he will get in fights and die from injuries within two years. Even with slow acclimatization to outside you are looking at a lifespan of 5-7 years from what you have described, if that, and he will likely just disappear on you one day.

With the amount of time and care you have already put into him your best option is to convince your parents to keep him around until you find a safe home for him.

Skepticmind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, absolutely. It will keep him from getting into fights about mating rights with other tomcats, so his life will be much better. Plus it'll keep him from fathering thousands of unwanted kittens.

Are you in the US? If so, it's illegal to dump a cat in a park (or anywhere really). I was thinking you could just keep him as an outdoor pet, but if you're in an apartment I guess that won't work. If you leave him in the park he'll probably try to get back to your place.
Thanks. Yesterday I took him to the vet for vaccination, I also spoke to the veterinarian about neutering. He said I'd better wait for a few days after the vaccination.

No, I wouldn't be having so many problems for finding him another home if I was in the US :/

Skepticmind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think releasing him outside to fend for himself is cruel. He is used to a home. He needs a different home if he can stay in yours.
And yes, neuter him regardless.
I know, I'm trying all I can to find him a home :(

Skepticmind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you can't keep him and are going to put him outside you would want to get him neutered first. Then set up a feeding station nearby where you can feed him twice a day. Start by feeding him outside and bringing him back in after feeding. Each day leave him outside longer with you nearby before bringing him back in. Over the course of a month you do more outside and less inside until he adjusts and knows the feeding schedule. Ideally you would want to go at the same time each day to put down food and make sure he is actually eating it so you don't end up feeding every stray in the neighborhood. You also need to set up a shelter for him in the colder months; it can be as simple as homemade or something store bought (check feral shelters online for instructions).
Thank you very much for your kind assistance :)

and he will likely just disappear on you one day.
Yeah, I see. I had outdoor cats a few years ago, and this is exactly what happened to all of them...I keep trying to explain to my parents that leaving him outside means killing him but they don't understand. They firmly believe that cats belong in the nature (i.e., the streets!) and can fend for themselves, it's cruel and dangerous to keep them in and 'cage' them inside a house. I live in Iran, and these beliefs are pretty common among people in here.

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is so amazing and noble what you did, saving that poor kitty's life. Fosters all around the world save so many lives every day.
Setting up a feeding station would probably not work as it would attract other strays and it will be too much resposability for you to feed them all.
Definitely neuter him if you can afford it financially, and since you've come so far it would be best if you found him a forever home. Maybe you try and convince your parents to let you keep him only until that happens since he probably won't live long outside and they already let you help him and save his life.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you very much for your kind assistance :)

Yeah, I see. I had outdoor cats a few years ago, and this is exactly what happened to all of them...I keep trying to explain to my parents that leaving him outside means killing him but they don't understand. They firmly believe that cats belong in the nature (i.e., the streets!) and can fend for themselves, it's cruel and dangerous to keep them in and 'cage' them inside a house. I live in Iran, and these beliefs are pretty common among people in here.
Ahhhh, Iran. Yeah it makes a lot more sense why your parents are so firm. In that case, keep trying for a home. If you can't find one get him neutered and keep a regular outside feeding going. Sometimes there is only so much you can do and you do the best you can within those parameters.

If it helps any, if allowed to keep him inside he could live to be 18 years old. Outside, 8 years is a long life. He can live a very fufilled life inside with toys and love or a dangerous life outside, hunted and scared. Its not keeping him in a cage by keeping him indoors, its protecting him from predators and keeping him safe. I know that cage idea is common in your area and I understand the negative mentality that goes with it. Maybe you could compromise and let him out during the days but bring him in at night? Humans go inside at night to safely sleep in homes, it would be the same thing for him. Then he isn't caged, but he is free to roam in daylight but safe and sound at night in a secure home.

If that does work, PM me and I can help you with training to come etc.