Odd Ringworm Diagnosis: Not M. Canis

Valtiel84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My cat Sebastian was diagnosed with ringworm after my boyfriend and I broke out with what appeared to be ringworm. My vet did a culture and said it was the ringworm Microsporum canis. I really hated how they were treating this so I went to a dermatologist. She did a PCR 3 weeks after the initial culture and it came back Microsporum gypseum. Any one have cats that have had that type? She had never seen that in a cat before.

Thanks

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most people simply say they or their cats have ringworm and never delve down any further than that. I'm not sure that it really matters though, does it. From what I can tell, the treatment is still the same, and you will still probably never know who got it first, you, your boyfriend, or your cat :wink:. I just hope you getting it contained as it can be daunting!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After doing a bit of googling and reading, as usual, I agree with mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens ! I am including a link to an article that really just reiterates that cats can have either, and that the treatment is the same. However, they DO have a free "Ask a Vet" button, so you might find that useful!

Ringworm (Dermatophytosis) in Cats