Odd pooping behavior

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We need your advice!

A friend of mine (let's call her Betty) recently informed me about her cat's behavior and I am honestly lost for words.

Apparently this has been going on for a long time but they just found out about it.

Originally, Betty had 2 cats and a dog.   The two cats doesn't get along so one cat has eventually gone to another home. Recently Betty caught her cat (about 8 years old- originally adopted at approx. 1 year old) pooping in a room outside of the litter box so she went to get things to clean the poop with. when she returned, the poop was gone and she looked and realized that the dog ate the poop!

Betty did some more investigating and realized that the dog must've been eating the cat's poop for a long time.  Another strange thing is that the cat's poop would be found in odd places like in the cat's bed, next to the food bowl, and so forth. It appears that the cat would walk and poop as he walks.

Betty took the cat to the vet for a checkup and he tested the cat and said the cat is able to hold his sphincter muscles which means he can hold his poop.

AAt first Betty thought maybe the cat was mad at the 2nd cat but the 2nd cat has not been around for a while so we are puzzled at why this behavior is occuring.

Betty added a 3rd litter box,  changed the litter several times and kept the cat in one room for a month with food/water/litter to try to train him to use the litter box only.

No change in the behavior so far.

Any advice?!?!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are they "normal" or "healthy" poops? 

Mooch has been constipated off and on and will sometimes loose one while walking if she is. They usually are a harder/drier texture though.

If she is pooping while walking I wouldn't call it a behavior so much as think some sort of health thing.  Perhaps she can talk with the vet again too?  Even a phone consult?