Odd litter box usage/issues

jchri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

So, I've been having problems with my cat using the litter box consistently.  She somewhat frequently pees on beds/mats and I've tried quite a few things.  Anyway, that's not the question now.  

Yesterday, I'd been worried about how it seemed like she hadn't peed in a while (nothing in the boxes and no 'fresh' spots around the house..), so I picked her up and carried her to the box, and placed her in it.  She promptly peed, but did it standing up, which was very unusual.  Anyway, I cleaned up the mess, I thought it odd, but was glad she used the litter box anyway. Then, 24 hours later, I repeated that, by placing her in the box, and she immediately used it, again standing up.  

I suppose my question is if anyone had even heard of anything like this?  It's like she needs reminding to use the litterbox or something.. She did find it during those 24 hrs for both functions, so it's not as though she's forgotten where it is, i don't think.  She appeared to have squatted like normal for the time she went to the box on her own.

I was really surprised yesterday that placing her in it worked, and even more that the same result occurred today.  If it happens again tomorrow evening I will be even more so.  I do have an appointment with the vet for her on Tuesday. 

ANy thoughts?  

stormblastx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats had a similar issue, I ended up just buying several COVERED litter boxes and placing them near spots that she would frequent, but made sure there was a lot of privacy. My cats (3) are allllllll about privacy. Eventually I could cut down from 4 litter boxes to 2. It's inconvenient temporarily, but may do the trick. :) best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jchri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm moving in about a month, and will be buying a new litterbox then that would be more suited for higher pee-ers, so to say.  THe main thing that's odd is why she used the box after I place her in it. 

stormblastx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she doesn't seem to be going to it on her own, maybe try placing it near food/water. If she has to see/smell it it might entice her to go on her own. I ended up having to leave at least one peep in there so she knew it was her scent.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is what your cat is thinking, but my cat will "go" in her litter box, just before I clean it. It's a morning routine: once I grab a bag (she hears the bag crinkle), she follows me to her box, pees/poops, then leaves.  Every morning! I swear it's because she knows I'm going to clean it so might as well empty her system! 

When I do scoop it, there are other clumps, so it's clear she goes throughout the day. Maybe your cat is thinking the same...."might as well "go" since you're going to scoop right after."
 She promptly peed, but did it standing up, which was very unusual.  Anyway, I cleaned up the mess...
Maybe she's standing up because it's awkward that you're watching?

Just some thoughts! Let us know if she keeps doing this :)

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I'm moving in about a month, and will be buying a new litterbox then that would be more suited for higher pee-ers, so to say.  THe main thing that's odd is why she used the box after I place her in it. 
Just another thought...you may want to keep the old litter box to help her adjust to the new place. That way it has her scent, and "territory", ready to go for the new place. Once settled in, then switch to the new litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jchri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update:  The situation hasn't changed a lot.  I *think* there have not been any outside the box incidents since I last posted.  By that I mean that I haven't discovered any--but it's a pretty big house and her pee seems relatively low-odor for cat urine.  Anyways, she's a bit like a small child.. you know, when you kind of know the child should go potty, since they haven't for a while, so you have to prompt them to go..  if I pick my cat up and place her just inside the litterbox and hold her there for just a moment before letting go, about 70% of the time then she will re-situate herself and pee.  Yeah, it's odd..  but it seems like that helps to encourage her to use the litterbox on her own also.