Odd Kitten Out

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, so my dad brought home three rescued strays near the feral stage. Two socialized well, although they are still a bit anxious. The third is still a hissing, swatting, skiddish mess. She never attacks, and will let me pick her up. But the growling, crying, and hiding is persistant. At times though, she'll come over to me and put her paw out pr bump me with her nose.

What can I do to properly socialize her? I'm trying to find these three homes as I have 8 cats, and 4 have serious health conditions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! So how long have you had them, how old are they? And are the two that have socialized and get along both boys (just curious). Is the girl the runt of the 3? Is she only hissing/etc. at the other two strays? And, when she is hiding - she is hiding from what/whom?

You need to give her time and patience - and, if her only issue is the other two strays, then it might be best to keep her separated from them until you build up her confidence.

Depending on all the answers to the questions above, it is possible that she just needs more time than the others to acclimate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! So how long have you had them, how old are they? And are the two that have socialized and get along both boys (just curious). Is the girl the runt of the 3? Is she only hissing/etc. at the other two strays? And, when she is hiding - she is hiding from what/whom?

You need to give her time and patience - and, if her only issue is the other two strays, then it might be best to keep her separated from them until you build up her confidence.

Depending on all the answers to the questions above, it is possible that she just needs more time than the others to acclimate.
I've had them a couple weeks, and they're about two months or so. There are two girls and a boy. The two that socialized well are a boy and girl. She gets along with them great- she was their guardian when we first took them in.
She rarely tiffs at them - just if they are being grubby about food. It's people that scare her something fierce. I've thought about separating her and working with her one on one.
She lets me hold her and touch her. She just generally screeches and moans.

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had them a couple weeks, and they're about two months or so. There are two girls and a boy. The two that socialized well are a boy and girl. She gets along with them great- she was their guardian when we first took them in.
She rarely tiffs at them - just if they are being grubby about food. It's people that scare her something fierce. I've thought about separating her and working with her one on one.
She lets me hold her and touch her. She just generally screeches and moans.
She's kind of the runt. She's smaller than the other two and looks completely opposite of them

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, her biggest issue is with other humans? If so, then she probably doesn't need to be separated from the other two cats - and, they will likely work out the food scuffles on their own.

She just needs more human interaction - starting with you. Some one on one time is good. Also, if she watches you interact with the other two, that will help her to see that the other two like humans. And, if you can be with her to console/comfort her while she watches other humans interact with the other two, that will help as well.

I am wondering is she is not of the same litter as the others, and that can make a difference as well in terms of her demeanor compared to the other two.

squirrelymonki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, her biggest issue is with other humans? If so, then she probably doesn't need to be separated from the other two cats - and, they will likely work out the food scuffles on their own.

She just needs more human interaction - starting with you. Some one on one time is good. Also, if she watches you interact with the other two, that will help her to see that the other two like humans. And, if you can be with her to console/comfort her while she watches other humans interact with the other two, that will help as well.

I am wondering is she is not of the same litter as the others, and that can make a difference as well in terms of her demeanor compared to the other two.
Yes, it's people lol. Boy oh boy is she a nervous nelly. She is from the same litter I believe...they all have the same belly spots.

That's really good advice. I do show her via the other two that I mean no harm etc, but given her state of being, she probably needs a lot more work one on one etc

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not easy being the guardian of your siblings. She's probably still on alert from when they were on their own. She kept them safe, that became what she does. Sounds like she's getting there. Just as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said keep at it. I hope you can calm her before you rehome the others as losing them might set her progress back some.