Odd Howling, Extremely Needy, Depressive Behavior

kittyhaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

i am in need of some advice. a week ago one of my kitties busted through our screen window, and we have not been able to get him back. we live in the 2nd story condo. We have tried just about everything, my husband has been staying up all night the past week trying to catch him and the 2 times he did see him he bolted. we have tried a humane trap, and warm tuna and still nothing.

i also have 3 other cats, they have been acting very odd. Rocky has been acting severely depressed and has been acting like a kitten climbing all over me and burying his head in my armpit or into my shirt. he had never done this before. i attribute this behavior to our missing kitty Apollo. they were best friends and spent alot of time together. the main issue we have been having is our cat Rambo has recently started howling. he howls in the middle of night, or any time my husband or i walk out the door, he will sit in front of it and start yowling very loudly. he also tries to bolt out the front door every time he can. he is neutered and has been since we got him 7 years ago. it is very off behavior for him. so my main concern is, whats going on? is this behavior with Rambo a result of our missing kitty, or could it be something else?

all have been acting weirdly. most have told me it is because i am pregnant. im 8 months pregnant and the only behavior change in the past 8 months has been to have them all sleep on the bed with me or the need to be in the same room i am in.

any ideas what could be making my kitties behave like this? especially the constant howling? also any advice on how to get my missing kitty back would be greatly appreciated. he wont come to either of us and we have tried food, and a humane trap. it has me in a severely depressive funk, which could be rubbing off on my animals?

i appreciate the read and any advice

jiskefet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do take Rambo to the vet for a check-up, just in case there is something physically wrong with him. He is obviously very distressed, and while this may be due to your hormones, or to your other cat going missing, he may just as well be ill. So better make sure, and have him treated if he is ill or injured.

It is not uncommon for cats to be depressed or unsettled when one of their friends suddenly disappears, which is why I always allow my cats to pay their respects to their deceased friends. At least, when they know (s)he is dead, they will still be upset (some of them will be positively mourning) but they will know what has happened. When a cat suddenly goes missing, the others will not understand and be thrown off balance. Some will show this more clearly than others, depending on personality and how close they were to the missing cat. When my boy Jiskefet died, Tosca was the only one of my other cats who did not see him dead, and she spent the next week on the roof of the neighbours'  shed, waiting for him to come home.

So Rambo's behaviour may well be due to him missing his pal. But do not rule out the possibility of illness, and have him checked by the vet, just in case.