odd habits

troll master

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it normal for a cat(s) to lick plastic frequently?

I have been trying to get my cats to stop this odd behavior but I do not know how... any suggestions?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our Ming Loy LOVES plastic. The only solution is denial of access. :lol3: We keep plastic bags in cabinets. She also LOVES to chew rubber and various plastics. So we keep cords underneath rugs, headsets and phones in pockets, etc.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sheba licks Ziplock bags above the zipper, then carefully bites it, making a sound like popping bubble wrap.  She never tries chewing it and never tries to get what is in the bags.  She just likes puncturing the plastic.

simka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of the scores of cats that have passed through my home, both foster and own, none had been interested in plastic (though I had one that ate lingerie straps and pieces of wool sweaters) until Nevermore came to me last year. He licks all plastic bags until they are sodden. As LDG said, the only solution is to keep them shut away. Doesn't it have something to do with beef tallow in the plastic mix?

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep it out of access as much as you can. Esme has a fascination with plastic and we can't keep much around her. She will even chew on the plastic to her brand new kitty litter bag when it's brought into the house.
I try to keep up what I can and she is fine. If it's something you can't put up, maybe you can try Apple Bitter?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like popping bubble wrap as well.  Found a new way of doing it - wringing it like wet clothes! 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't finish my post. I once bought a big roll of it from an office supply store just so I could pop it. It took a while too ;)

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I catsit for a kitty named Fella who chewed on and licked ANYTHING plastic. :lol3: His poor owners had to hide everything plastic up on shelves where he couldn't get it.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sugar likes feet.  She will cuddle and rub on them but won't bite very hard. More like taking a toe in her mouth and slobbering on it.

Spice likes to nibble your knuckles.  She kinda scrapes her front teeth on them but doesn't try chewing or biting.

Silly likes to sniff my eye.  Just the right one only.

Julie is,  well,  Julie.  She is genetically challenged but is such a little softy pretty face.