Odd Cat Gag/retch

Jamesf553

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys quick question for you. I have a 7 month old dsh cat who was just to the vet about a month and a half ago and she was fine (checked stool sample, got last of boosters).

Anyway, maybe once a day now I started hearing her do this odd thing that sounds like a retch/gag only it is incredibly fast. I wish I could record it to explain but basically it sounds like a video of a cat retching if you speed the video up by like 3x. It only lasts for a couple seconds.

Anyway, it seems to be dry ive never seen anything come out. Has any one had this experience before with their cat or advice? I can call the vet on Monday but I just figured I'd ask here as well.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like trying to pass a hairball. Are you familiar with a cat trying to pass a hairball?

I ask because it's a bit scary until you realize what it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jamesf553

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like trying to pass a hairball. Are you familiar with a cat trying to pass a hairball?

I ask because it's a bit scary until you realize what it is.
I haven't seen a cat pass a hairball, only throw up food that seemed to upset their stomach. For instance, when my cat would throw up food she would heave a couple times and then puke up the food. In this case she heaved like 6-7 times super super fast and then nothing came out. Does that make any sense?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've seen that with hairballs.

Here's an example. See in the beginning? The fast heaving. Some cats tend to hide when they are going to throw up a hairball so it's very concerning when you first see it.

My cat will take a couple days then either pass it or throw it up.