Odd behaviours and questions

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

So my fur baby Tiana is pretty healthy and happy as far as I can tell. But she does have a few odd behaviours that I've been seeing since she was bought home (3 months) and now she's 4.

First and the most concerning one:
She pees on my blankets, and it specifically has to be things that I use to cover myself when I sleep. We have soft fluffy covers on the sofa but she does not pee on them. This started young when she was a kitten. She peed on the soft blanket I laid for her to sleep on. I thought it mightve been an accident but she kept doing it so I removed the blanket. As she got older it subsided a lot but then she'd do it again from time to time with no apparent reasoning. She hasn't stopped using the litter box and never had an accident other than her poop trailing behind her once. There are no other animals in the house so I don't see a reason for litter box issues or stressors. She also seems to do it after making biscuits on the blanket. Not at the same time but usually in a day or two. It makes no sense at all. We've talked to her vet multiple times and he checked her stomach and other areas for problems but came with nothing. If this persists I've been thinking about switching vets.

Second problem is that she's been licking plastic, like plastic shopping bags or covers used for packaging. She just licks them non stop when she gets hyper but never chews on them. I've learned that it might be because of mineral deficiency but I give her a good quality dry food because that's all she will eat and those wet food sachet treats daily. This is a relatively new discovery although I've only noticed this because I've been home a lot these days.
She is currently in her best health as she used to puke a lot as a kitten because she'd eat very less and was extremely picky. We finally got a good brand that she actually likes. She absolutely despises wet food and would rather go hungry but goes nuts for wet food treats. She pees and poops normally in her litter box too. Although her poo has gotten smellier after switching foods.
Both of these things have been mentioned to the vet but he sees nothing wrong with it. But it's frustrating to throw away yet another blanket with no clue as to why she's doing it. So I'm here to ask what I should be doing differently

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If I understood you correctly, the primary things she pees on is blankets/coverings you use while sleeping? If that is correct, then fold them up when you are not using them and place them on the top shelf of a closet or some other location that she cannot get to.

As far as the plastic goes, just keep the plastic bags away from her too. I have a cat that chews, but does not eat, plastic bags if she finds one. Been going on for years (Feeby is now 18+ yo) and even to this day if we screw up and leave one out, she will go after it. Just a crazy idiosyncrasy of hers. She also likes to gnaw on metal - things like the rings that affix a shoulder/hand strap to purses, for example. So, those are kept out of reach as well. One of my other cats (Gracie - RIP) loved chewing on rubber bands, so we always made sure not to have to out anywhere within her reach.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm agreeing with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner .

Most cats will chew plastic bags if allowed. Apparently it tastes fishy to them. Best to store our of reach.

It might be worth a urinalysis and bloodwork at some point when you can...but if it's gone on this long it might be marking behaviour.

Just as an FYI- lack (of perceived, by the cat) enrichment can cause stress that makes FLUTD. The first sign of FLUTD for us was Nobel peeing on beds. I think they smell us and it's comforting. He only did it once in awhile and it wasn't until years later that he got an infection and then further flare ups that it was diagnosed. He's always been very tidy and has never stopped using the litter completely even when he had stones.

We had to go through the process of teaching Nobel to eat wet food. He still has some dry, but it's the biggest prevention for FLUTD and many other disorders. Also ensuring that the dry food he eats has a higher PH (so contains some blueberry or cranberry or something to raise the PH and no dairy that will lower the PH).
He's eats Purina's over the counter urinary wet food. We don't free-feed dry food anymore and presenting the wet food once he's gone hungry a bit worked. We started with Fancy Feast and some straight up tuna as it's what he would try a bit of.

Others have had lots of luck with Wureva for picky cats.

If you can get her to eat one can of wet food a day, it will be so beneficial long term. Especially if she will tolerate extra water in it. This could be one can broken into 3 meals and dry food lowered a bit. Any bit helps.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, in addition to the above, you can always add water to your cat's dry food to see if she will eat it that way. If she does, it might increase of the odds of her 'learning' to accept/like wet food down the road. You might also 'test' some wet foods by mixing them with the wet food treats that she likes.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
She also seems to do it after making biscuits on the blanket. Not at the same time but usually in a day or two.
To me, along with the plastic licking, this sounds like an odd/unique version of pica.

Are you able to take her for walks? Not because I think she's bored but I wonder if her mind would benefit from external stimuli?

Last edited: