October 2023 book of the month club - 4 year anniversary / final month – Choose Your Own from “100 Books Everyone Should Read” list

It's the final book club month, after 4 years. Are you planning to join us this last time?

• yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • no

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • maybe

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Almost ready to start reading "Outlander." This is more a "refresh my memory" read than anything else, as I've read it once every 1-2 years since it was a new release!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Going to start reading mine hopefully this weekend as work should be "less insane" than last weekend or the weekend of the 20th will be. (Our waiting list at work is growing by the day, I have no idea where everyone is going but I sure wasn't invited!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I mentioned I was binging through the Cormoran Strike series. I'm down to less than 200 pages left in book 7, the final book that has been published. So once I finish that, I'll be starting "Anne of Green Gables".

Looking forward to reading about the books everyone has chosen.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I should be starting "Outlander" by Sunday. As I mentioned, it's a re-read (probably read it 10 times), so this will be a refresher course. I'm SO glad I found this series when it was brand new!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished "Outlander," and will get something posted about it in the next couple of days.
You really, really read fast !!! Can't remember how long it took me to read Outlander, but I'm sure it was at least a week, but likely longer.

I'm almost finished Anne of Green Gables. So will probably post my review tomorrow or the next day.

How's everyone else doing?

Our poll had 10 "yes's" and 6 "maybe's" so we should have a lot of reviews posted in the next week or so.
Looking forward to reading all of them. . :anticipation:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished my book earlier today. Here's my review.

What book did you read from the "100 Books Everyone Should Read" list?
#41 off the list - Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery

Tell us a little about the book
It was written in 1908 and is the first in a fictional series of books about a red haired, freckled orphan named Anne Shirley. That’s Anne with an “E”, btw.

When unmarried aging brother and sister, Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert decide to adopt a boy to help around their farm on Prince Edward Island in Canada, they are surprised when instead an 11 year old girl arrives. Intending at first to send her back, they quickly become fond of her, and tell her she can stay. Thus begins a lovely family relationship, with Marilla being mostly the teaching parent, and Matthew the spoiling one. Anne quickly becomes best friends with Diana Barry who lives nearby, and the book continues through 4 years of Anne’s life from age 11 to age 16. Future books continue to tell Anne's story.

Anne of Green Gables is a well known story in Canada, with several tv series and films having been based on the character over the decades. As well, the province of Prince Edward Island (PEI) took on Anne as a huge tourist draw, having a long running play based on the book running every summer in Charlottetown. As well, having both an “Anne of Green Gables” house for tourists to visit. Not to mention tons of Anne souvenirs.

Here’s the Anne of Green Gables house in Cavendish, PEI
1697750516146.png

Green Gables (Prince Edward Island) - Wikipedia

And Anne’s room
1697750527833.png

Why did you choose it?
It was a novel I’d always wanted to read, despite knowing the story

Had you read it before?
I thought perhaps I had, but the actual writing of the story didn’t seem familiar, so I don’t think I had read it before

Did you buy the book, borrow from the library, or already had it
Borrowed from the library. As an out of copyright book, it’s “always available”

Would you recommend it for other readers?
Probably. It isn’t terribly dated, despite the timeline of the story and when it was written. But it does get a little long winded at times. But it’s still a good story, so if someone wanted something different to read, it could be a good choice.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You really, really read fast !!! Can't remember how long it took me to read Outlander, but I'm sure it was at least a week, but likely longer.
Ah, but this is the...seventh? eighth? possibly tenth reading! LOL, and as I was reading, I started rewatching the TV series!

My choice was “Outlander,” the first book in the series of the same name, by Diana Gabaldon

Oh, goodness! LOL, I could actually write a book about this book. Let’s set up the background, just for a moment. A woman, Claire Randall, is on a second honeymoon with her husband, Frank, following WWII, where they both served, and barely saw each other for several years. They go to Scotland for this time of renewal in their marriage. Claire is quite interested in healing plants (she was a nurse in the British Army), and Frank, in history. When they find out that there is a stone circle near the village, they set out to watch the “modern druids” dance in it on one of the Quarter Days, quite secretly. Intrigued, Clair determines to revisit the circle the next day to search for plants. She hears a strange noise, a humming, and when she places her hand on the main stone, she falls through the stone, 200 or so years into the past. Needless to say, many adventures result from this unexpected journey, including her forced marriage (for her own good) to a handsome young Scotsman, with all of the misgivings that causes (can you be unfaithful to a man who won’t be born for 200+ years?). But marry, they do, and she falls deeply in love with him. There is, of course, a villain, determined to bring them both down…ironically an ancestor of Frank Randall, and they go through a LOT of upheaval, attempting to stay out of his hands! Is there a happy ending? Well, there is the promise of one to come. This series has nine books, with a tenth currently in the works. I will tell you that Clair and Jamie (said Scotsman) do have a long, and not miserable life.

These books are well-written, full of both romance and action, and very well researched. I kept coming across tidbits of historical information, thinking, “Nah,” then chasing said tidbit down and finding it accurate. And it is FULL of historical information!

Why did you choose it?
It is one of those “Take it to a desert island” books for me. The entire series is.

Had you read it before?
Lord, yes! Many times!

I own the nine current books, PLUS “The Outlander Cookbook,” based on them

Absolutely!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My choice was “Outlander,” the first book in the series of the same name, by Diana Gabaldon
Your description of the book is excellent, and if I hadn't already read it, I would be putting it on my to read list. However, one thing you didn't mention, which maybe didn't bother you as much as it did me, these books, particularly the early ones, contain a lot of descriptive, disturbing violence. The story is still so good that I wouldn't suggest not reading the books, but just to be aware that you might need to skip over some parts.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Strange how you can make an assumption based on the title of a book, at least I do. I always presumed this book was a sort of science fantasy one and not liking that particular genre I've never considered reading it but from your precise Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I might give it a go so thank you for reading and posting your review.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
It's a light fantasy adventure. A farm boy Westly and Buttercup, the daughter of the couple he works for, fall in love. Weslty leaves for America to make money for a life for he and Buttercup when he is killed by pirates. Buttercup is broken-hearted but catches the attention of the Prince Humperdinck who makes her his fiancé. Choas ensues when Buttercup is kidnapped by Vizzini, Fezzik, and Inigo.
Why did you choose it?
I had been wanting to reread it for a while and it was on the list.
I have my own copy.
Yes, but it is different from the movie is some ways, and drags a little. The humor is great though!