October 2023 book of the month club - 4 year anniversary / final month – Choose Your Own from “100 Books Everyone Should Read” list

It's the final book club month, after 4 years. Are you planning to join us this last time?

• yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • no

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • maybe

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rereading/bingeing is the real mark of a good book for me! :cloud9: I’ve got a series in mind to do that with again but I’m trying to work on my TBR pile. So many books, so little time.

Hoopla is how I’m getting a lot of the novels my kids are supposed to read this year. We only get 4 things per month but between the 3 of us that’s enough. Or I guess DH will have to go get a library card too. ;) I don’t know if getting an educator card will give me more access.
Is Hoopla a library app? I have Libby, but they always seem to not have the books I want to borrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is Hoopla a library app? I have Libby, but they always seem to not have the books I want to borrow.
From their FAQ:
hoopla Digital partners with libraries across the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand to provide online and mobile access to eBooks, audiobooks, comics, music, movies, and TV. With hoopla and a valid library card, patrons can borrow, stream, and download dynamic content via hoopla’s mobile app or www.hoopladigital.com. Simple to access and use, with no waiting and no hassles, hoopla is a service of Midwest Tape–a trusted partner of public libraries for over 30 years. Sign up today!​
List of participating libraries:
hoopla Participating Libraries map

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve had the same issue with Libby. Hopefully you can get Hoopla access through your library. I saw some moms talking about ways to get library cards in different areas sometimes. I think one was a “road schooler” and paid a very small fee to access different libraries. It might be something to look into for you too.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve had the same issue with Libby. Hopefully you can get Hoopla access through your library. I saw some moms talking about ways to get library cards in different areas sometimes. I think one was a “road schooler” and paid a very small fee to access different libraries. It might be something to look into for you too.
I'll have to look into Hoopla. I tried to get a card from the city I grew up in so I could see their eData bases for genealogy purposes and they would give me one only if I got it in person. Unfortunately, I couldn't. But I was able to use my sister's. I just looked on the Hoopla link provided by rubysmama rubysmama and my library and my sister's are both supported, so I just installed the app and signed up. I'll explore it later when I have more time.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I must be one of the few people in existence who knows very little about Harry Potter, so I've gone for Book 1. the Philosopher's Stone. I don't think I need to write a synopsis. :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just looked on the Hoopla link provided by rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama and my library and my sister's are both supported, so I just installed the app and signed up. I'll explore it later when I have more time.
Oh, excellent. :clap: You'll probably find there's different books than your library, but there will be some new(er) releases, and the best part is there's never a wait list. So if you see a book, you can borrow it right away.

I must be one of the few people in existence who knows very little about Harry Potter, so I've gone for Book 1. the Philosopher's Stone. I don't think I need to write a synopsis. :lol:
This pretty much sums it up. :)

1696418646887.png

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If anyone is still undecided about which book to read, or if you aren't sure if you can get easily acquire one off the list, remember many of the classics can be downloaded for free from Project Gutenberg.

1696435574370.png

The most popular classics will be on the top downloaded book lists. Here's yesterdays:
Top 100 EBooks yesterday

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All I know about Harry Potter is he had glasses that one time. I never read the books or the series but I heard they are quite good.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1696518209580.png

We're 5 days into October, so maybe time to take Roll Call.

Mia6 Mia6 's an early bird and already read and posted about her book.
mani mani 's going with Harry Potter
iPappy iPappy 's had tentatively decided when last posted

Who else is going to read this month? And have you chosen your book? Started yet?

I'll go first. Not started yet, but I'm going to read: Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to read The Diary of Anne Frank, the version with previously withheld parts. It's on hold at my library, and a couple are overdue and I'm #2, so I should get it soon, definitely by the end of the month in time to read and post.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 460982

We're 5 days into October, so maybe time to take Roll Call.

Mia6 Mia6 's an early bird and already read and posted about her book.
mani mani 's going with Harry Potter
iPappy iPappy 's had tentatively decided when last posted

Who else is going to read this month? And have you chosen your book? Started yet?

I'll go first. Not started yet, but I'm going to read: Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
My plan is to reread the Princess Bride if I can get to it this month.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ProbabIy not, but DO post your thoughts and feeIings! Those vary wiIdIy from person to person, you know!

I AM! But, of COURSE, I AM! OutIander, by Diana GabaIdon. I'II start on the 15th of the month. It's 700 or so pages, but a re-read, so I'II have no probIem finishing it!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a reminder that we don't have a set reading and reviewing period this month, so once you've finished your book, you can post your review any time.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
iPappy iPappy , just looked the book up as I had not heard of it before. Sounds like a deep book to read.
iPappy iPappy I also looked up this book and it sounds intriguing. I just borrowed it from the library.

Who know if I will be able to participate in this forum though. So far I've started re-reading: 1984, Brave New World, and Thorn Birds. I have 2 other books started, one is library and I won't be able to finish it it's due in 2 days.

And now I want to read this one