Oci Kittens at 1 month old

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got these from the breeder - gonna be a tougher choice between the boys this time - right now I and the breeder like the darker boy (in the picture - he's on the far right side) Ann's keeping the female for breeding.

All of them are very nice so it will not be an easy choice.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are very cute. So does this mean you might be getting one for sure this time around?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope so Coco - this is the 3rd litter I'll be waiting on. All of them look very good this time and are nice and healthy, growing well. They say "third times the charm" - let's hope so!

I have Jack's baby pics that I am comparing them to (same age). He's got a lot of potential and looks similar to Jack and Jack's brother at this age. I usually can pick out the show from the pet from a very young age and have a 90% accuracy rate.

I used to tell from the time my Rex kittens were a week old who was pet and who was show - and very rarely got it wrong.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope - they just didn't measure up to show quality in the end. We have 2 chocolate silver boys to decide, but those are not strong now...its frustrating but when you are looking for show, you end up going thru a lot of good looking kittens.

If these 2 boys (9 weeks old not) don't pan out, there is another litter due in a few weeks and hopefully one of them we will get. So either I get a kitten in May or will need to wait till August.

Not every kitten is show quality, but its worth the wait when you get "that one". In the meantime, I do have my Jack to show in the alter class.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you decide just by pictures, or do you meet the kittens to assess for show quality? Is it only a look, or a personality as well?

Just curious. The kittens are adorable, although my preference is the pure bred alley cat.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've always been absolutely fascinated by show cats... they're all so elegant and well-behaved. Then I look at my goober, four paws up like his in my signature, and think about trying to show him- and have a good laugh.
He's a wonderful kitty and if there were a "sweetest in show" he might win it, but that's about it!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beck - its a combination of both pictures and in person. Since the kittens are in Florida, its kinda hard to see them in person. But I'm pretty good in picking out the possible show from first pictures in the first few weeks. And we have 3-4 breeders who either get to evaluate in pictures or in person. And 99% of the time we will all agree as to which kitten is best.

The breeder I'm getting a kitten from is pretty picky. She doesn't want me to have a mediocre kitten/cat to show where its not gonna do that well. The last one we really thought was the right one - he had great body, head, personality but then is color just went "blah" looking (her words). So he's a pet living in Connecticut now. And we all picked him out from birth.

So you never know. Oci's are tricky - color/contrast is the most difficult to get. Either it fades out or just is not there even if the kitten has everything else.

Jack is now 2 1/2 yrs old (he's cinnamon) - most cats his color have really started to fade out by now, but he hasn't - his dad had excellent cinnamon color and Jack still has that flashy color. That's what you want.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too - but we (breeder and I) will know that its worth waiting for that "right" one - frustrating more then anything else.