occasionally pooping outside the box

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So a while ago we had a problem wiyh lilly pooping outside her box. It was ocassional once every few days to a week sometimes less often we added a second box upped the cleaning and it stopped but its happening again after months of no incidence allwats in same room as he more frequented box and only mere feet away from it. First time this time round the box was a little ripe so we cleaned it she used it for days and we woke this morning to a poop on the carpet. Shes since been in the box todav and it doesnt seem often enough to be pain related and shes content in herself acting pretty much the same bar the occasional poop outside her box any ideas what could be causing it. We have a two year old and I am pregnant with my second child so hubbies took over box duty. Which means its being cleaned ag night rather than half way through the day as it had been in past. No changes to our home environment other than my being pregnant and hubby doing the boxes.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perhaps it needs to be cleaned morning AND night, or else totally changed more frequently.  I always scoop morning and night, but I notice that I have to totally change and wash my boxes much more often in the summer months because the warmer temperatures seem to make the litter not last as long.  I can tell because they will totally stop using one box that appears clean to me, but they obviously smell something long before I do.  (I do rescue and have multiple boxes so they can just use another one.)   It sounds like she is very particular and remember, their sense of smell is WAY stronger than ours.