Occasional Raw

chester13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm considering switching to raw but have been having a lot of trouble collecting the mass amount of information out there. I would like to, eventually, switch first to an commercially available raw diet (I have seen Bravo, RadCat and Nature's Variety in the stores around here) then to a homemade raw if that is going well. Chester has been doing great on a grain-free 50/50 dry/wet diet but could use some more protein, etc. His feces are the right consistency but smelly and he scoots (I've been told he is worm free and shows no allergy symptoms. The vet diagnosed him as being sensitive to even slightly impacted anal glands.). I'm hoping a raw diet would clear some of this up. 

At the moment he has 1/4c. of dry each day. My issues with completely switching away from dry food would be when I travel. I can have someone come check on him once a day for wet, but one meal of dry would have to be necessary during these times (realistically I travel only once or twice a year for a long weekend). If I switch over to a raw diet would he be able to transition back to a wet/dry or even potentially eat dry for an entire day without any health issues? Could this be done over a slow transition? Would another option be raw with a small amount of dry each day (Wellness Core, Blue Wilderness or Nature's Variety most likely) to keep his taste? What have others done in this case? I'm sure many cat sitters aren't comfortable with feeding raw, either.

I am also looking to use my remaining dry/wet before I do a complete switch to raw, but would like to give him some raw food occasionally now. Maybe every other day or possible just 1 oz. then continuing wet/some dry. Has anyone else tried this long term? What would a feeding schedule look like?

Finally, right now I roast a chicken for myself about every week or so. Normally I throw the giblets out but would like to be able to feed them to Chester. I've read mixed opinions on whether commercially available organs are good for a cat. Generally I buy commercial brands, such as Purdue, would it be safe to give him the raw giblets? Or should I boil them?How much liver/heart/etc. should I give as a "treat?"

Any help or links to helpful websites would be appreciated. Thanks!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know about going back and forth to kibble but when I started raw I was feeding canned and went back and forth between canned and raw with no issues.  Just put a couple hours at least between different options or you increase your chances of stomach upset.  You can feed 15% of the diet unbalanced so if you want to do a small meal of raw here and there you can without thinking too hard about it, if you want to do as a main portion of the diet than you need to think about proper ratios.  You can feed the giblets out of your chickens as long as the meat isn't enhanced with extra sodium, with grocery store meat that is the main thing to watch out for.  For vacations you can also use a freeze dried raw that could be left out dry, like vital essentials or stella and chewys.  My pet sitter has to be here most of the time since I have dogs so I either leave canned to be fed a couple times or individually bag up raw meals, he just dumps in her bowl and tosses the bag. 

lindamh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

...If I switch over to a raw diet would he be able to transition back to a wet/dry or even potentially eat dry for an entire day without any health issues? Could this be done over a slow transition? Would another option be raw with a small amount of dry each day (Wellness Core, Blue Wilderness or Nature's Variety most likely) to keep his taste? What have others done in this case? I'm sure many cat sitters aren't comfortable with feeding raw, either.
I would check with any possible pet sitter.  I have 2 different ones I use and neither has an issue with the raw food -- one did steal my recipe for her cats, though.

The other idea is to use an automatic feeder with a cool pack.  I have the pet sitter come out 2x a day, but I have 2 cats that need a noon meal.  So, I put those cats in a seperate room with the automatic feeder (which has an ice pack).  They get their noon meal of raw food.

I have a few cats that can not handle dry food at all and one that is intolerant of canned food, so I do raw all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chester13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on where I'm at right now. Due to my schedule, my apartment size, etc. it's not feasible for me to make my own raw so I have go with commercial, which is expensive so I need to stay on wet food to help cut down on cost a little. My original plan was 4 am 1/8 c. dry (TOTW right now, to change after this bag is up), 7-8 am 1/8 c. raw then wet at night. I've read that it's dangerous to feed dry and raw too close in time, though. Is 3 hours long enough to digest kibble? I've changed my mind about switching off of dry but would like to keep his 4 am feeding, so I don't get woken up at 8 am. I already have an automatic feeder for dry food, so I'm reluctant to spend money on a completely new automatic feeder with a cold pack for overnight. I suppose that is an option, but one I would really like to stay away from this and feed dry in the morning. Should I feed wet (1/2 can) around 7-8 and then raw at night before I go to bed? Or would feeding dry 3 hours before raw be ok? Depending on how much this raw ends up costing when I'm all said and done it's possible raw will eventually be 50% of diet with wet and a little dry in the morning.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I know kibble and raw is best served 12 hours apart.  As they digest at different rates which can cause issues.  I just made 2 weeks worth of raw food for my cats in under an hour last night :) 

kitty queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried mixing wet and raw and it didn't sit well so I hurried the transition to just raw. I second that cat sitters don't mind the raw much,but if you need a meal left out do the freeze dried and it'll be fine dry.