Occasional head tremors in senior cat

skygem

Guardian of a little old grandpa named Rayleigh
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, so this is something that's been worrying me for a while, but no matter what I google, I can't really find any info on it.

My boy Rayleigh occasionally has these little head tremors that last for like a second, sometimes not even that long. Other than that, he's normal - he's eating well, and his energy level has gone back up ever since he started taking medication for his IBD and I switched him to an LID diet. Healthy weight, he's passing stool and peeing normally, etc. Is this something I should be worrying about? I'm not sure about the frequency of it exactly since I work full time, but whenever I'm home it happens like maybe once or twice a day?

Whenever I google about head tremors, the examples I've seen are ones that are continuous, or that last much longer than Rayleigh's does, so I'm not sure if they're relevant.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's really impossible to know whether these could be serious or not. I'm guessing if everything else about your boy is fine, these are not an issue, BUT, if you could video them happening and send the video to your Vet to view, that would be optimal. I realize since they seem to occur quite infrequently, that might be difficult, but other than that, not sure what you can do.

Here an another thread about head shaking you might find interesting: Head tremors

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skygem

Young Cat
Purraise
It's really impossible to know whether these could be serious or not. I'm guessing if everything else about your boy is fine, these are not an issue, BUT, if you could video them happening and send the video to your Vet to view, that would be optimal. I realize since they seem to occur quite infrequently, that might be difficult, but other than that, not sure what you can do.

Here an another thread about head shaking you might find interesting: Head tremors
Hi thanks SO much for the response, that actually does make me feel a lot better, lol. Just that other people have been through this and have been told that it's not too big of a deal.

Obviously I know it could still be a warning sign so I'll be keeping a closer eye on Rayleigh to make sure nothing else changes about him and next time I'm at the vet for whatever reason I'll remember to bring it up to them, I guess it just feels better to know that there's no need to go rushing to the emergency vet asap, lol.

I guess this is all just a bit new to me so I'm kind of being a helicopter parent, wondering if every little thing is something wrong with him.

I'll try to get a video of it if I can, but it's pretty hard since they're so brief and infrequent. His head gives one or two little shakes and then by the time I even reach for my phone, it's already over. One of the posts in the thread you linked did make me realize though that it really only happens to him when he's relaxing and just sitting next to me doing nothing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skygem

Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to call your vet as it might be a side effect from the medication.
I don't think it's a side effect of the medication, it's been happening since before he started taking the meds.

He's currently on one 1mg budesonide tablet per day and i've already been keeping an eye out for the side common side effects for that