Occasional Diarrhea And Out Of Litterbox- Whats The Cause?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming this is Luna because she has has problems with litter box avoidance before and diarrhea when she got sick a couple times, but I really don't know who the culprit is.

Maybe once or twice a month I will find cat poop on the carpet. More often than not it is loose and mushy. What would cause occasional diarrhea like once every few weeks? And why is it not in the litter box?

Is it the food? Did she get into something she shouldn't have? There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with either cat. And I'm not even sure whose it is. That's another thing. How do I tell whose poop it is?

Tilly206

Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
I would get both cats to the vet, in case it is something underlying. The cause of toileting outside of the box is either behavioural or health related, so best to be on the safe side.

Edit- Just thought to add- do they share a litter box? as cats can be funny with this and some prefer access to their own box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get both cats to the vet, in case it is something underlying. The cause of toileting outside of the box is either behavioural or health related, so best to be on the safe side.

Edit- Just thought to add- do they share a litter box? as cats can be funny with this and some prefer access to their own box.
I have 4 litterboxes. I think they both go in all of them.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would love to know how to tell whose poop or pee a given sample is. I’ve had fantasies of sending it for DNA testing at times! You could always set up a camera to track your darlings.

I love your cat names!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to wait to take them to the vet. I'm in between jobs right now. I just got hired at a new place, but I haven't started yet. I have to find a new place to live and there are going to be a lot of moving expenses- firsts months rent, lasts months rent, security deposit, pet deposit, utility deposit, etc. And I have to take my dog to the vet tomorrow. He tested positive for Lyme's disease. I don't know what that's going to cost. I'll have to put it on a credit card.

The vet's would probably do a physical exam and not find anything wrong, and then want to do diagnostic stuff like bloodwork, xrays, scopes, etc. And doing diagnostics on two cats I just can't afford right now.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet may not need more than a poop sample to diagnose the problem or rule a medical cause out.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet may not need more than a poop sample to diagnose the problem or rule a medical cause out.
Yea i guess i shouldnt assume things. It just seems like they always want to do that stuff every time im there

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Some vets (including mine) include a blood test in the standard wellness exam for senior and geriatric pets. Others only do it if something is wrong.

Tilly206

Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
To be honest, im so quick at going to the vets with my new kitten if I notice anything as I lost my darling 17 year old cat in April and felt it could have been avoided. She had extremely mild signs of being unwell, which we didnt feel was any more than a bad belly/old age. I took her in when I got worried and she had to be put to sleep that day. If anything is out of the ordinary now, I will be straight to the vets.

PS- not judging you (or trying to panic you) as I am in a similar position and did not have insurance for my cat, so the credit card had to come out on several occasions!!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a few times i got home late and forgot to scoop the litter box. I think Luna likes it clean, so maybe that was it. They also get into stuff all the time, so maybe that was the diarrhea.

Bosco had to get bloodwork done rhis last trip to the vets with this Lyme disease. So i have to save up some more money and pay down my credit card.

Maybe by that time if it happens again i could get a stool sample and take it into the vet.