Occasional cough

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi folks! It's been several years since people on this site helped me to address a series of illnesses suffered by my previous generation of cat pals.
I finally recovered from the years, dollars, tears spent caring and saying good-bye to 3 chronically ill kitties, and am enjoying the company of a new generation: 6 year old brother and sister adopted 5 years ago. This issue now is the sister has developed a cough. At first, a few weeks ago, it was one episode and done, and she didn't cough again for a week or more. In the last couple of weeks she is coughing once or twice a day. I can hear kind of a rattle, there is mucus that wants to be cleared. She coughs, she clears it and she's good. Eating, drinking, playing, social, all the good things. But that cough/congestion -
Called the vet this a.m., and they said they are so overburdened by too many appointments and not enough staff they are not booking ANY appointments, not even emergencies, until late October. Basically said, either take your cat to an emergency care clinic or call around to see if any other vets will see the cat.
ALL vets I called are having the same experience, NO vets are taking any new patients. Wow, I had no idea, I've taken pets to this clinic for 25 years, and they were like, sorry no dice. So it seems I'll have to drive this skittish cat who is easily spooked more than one hour, one way to an urgent care facility. They don't even take appointments, you just line up and they take the sickest animals first, which sounds just awful. There is a heat advisory in my area, I just can't put the cat in a car during this heat and subject her to that scenario, since her situation requires attention but is not urgent. What a mess.
Does anyone have experience with a cat who occasionally coughs to clear mucus? Thanks, Laura

redgale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say I'm sorry. Not being able to see a local vet when you need help adds SO much stress and anxiety on top of an already stressful situation. Having been through this recently myself, I just wanted to say I'm sorry and I really hope your kitty feels better without needing to go to the emergency vet far away.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! The cough could be so many things, but perhaps it comes down to a newly developed environmental allergy. Weather changes and/or even seasonal changes can attribute to that. Dust, pollen, etc. can also be a factor. While you decide how to go forward with a vet visit, you can try to run hot water in a bathroom shower with the door closed to create a steam bath of sorts. Take your cat and sit with her in the steamy room for 5 or so minutes - it should help her more easily clear the mucous. If it works for her, do it at least once a day, maybe two.

Should it be allergy related, vacuum more often (while she is in another room), change out your air filters more frequently, and you might consider air purifiers or humidifiers to see if that might help any.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I can understand your hesitation to make the drive to the ER and then wait for an interminable amount of time in the heat to see the vet. Since she is not exhibiting critical symptoms, I would try what has been suggested, watch her for any change, and see what you can do about a vet appointment in the meantime.

Coughing in Cats

The term “wet cough” refers to a cough that brings up phlegm—the thick mucus that is often produced within the respiratory tract in response to infection. Increased production of phlegm helps the body clear viruses, bacteria, disease-fighting cells, and other materials out of the lungs.

Dry coughs, on the other hand, do not produce much phlegm. In cats, dry coughs are typically associated with conditions like asthma, inhaled foreign bodies, and cancer. These distinctions are not ironclad but can help point you and your veterinarian towards a possible diagnosis.
Cat Coughing: Causes and Treatment | PetMD
The above two paragraphs are from petmd article. I don't know that the rest of the article helps a lot as it goes into conditions it is very unlikely your baby has.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for responses, good info about the wet vs dry cough. Hers is definitely wet, which it appears may point to infection?
Would have though infection would get significantly worse significantly faster.
It's so hot and humid where I am that just sitting on the porch with her is like a steam bath, good point though. I used to do the shower thing with my cat who had sinus trouble - ultimately cancer - but it did help and he actually seemed to enjoy it.
And the dust, yes! This cat has found a way to crawl into the dropped ceiling in my basement "mother in law" apartment. It has become her safe spot, and I'm sure it's dirty as heck in there. Got to find a way to keep her out of there.
I'm just so flabbergasted at the response of my long time vet office, I cannot believe they won't see this cat for ANY reason!
I wonder if the pet overflow is a result of huge increases in pandemic pet adoptions, along with staff shortages which are a problem in many industries.
Unless she gets precipitously worse, I guess my plan is to drive her to the urgent care facility one hour away, on Saturday when they open earlier and it will be cooler outside.
Didn't mention before, this cat has a chronic runny eye issue, that I have to treat approx every 3 months w/ antibiotic ointment.
Vet thinks probably herpes, quite common, of course now wondering if there could be a connection between the two, as she had an eye episode at about the same time she started coughing.
Thanks folks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say it is likely related to the herpes. A flare up. Maybe your vet would prescribe - over the phone - an antibiotic to treat both? Do you treat the herpes in any fashion? I have no experience in this but know that many members on this site use supplements to help minimize flare ups. Lysine is one, but I know there are others. Since you've been on this site off and on for quite a while, you could do a search on something like 'herpes treatments' and see what comes up?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis – TheCatSite Articles
Ocular (Eye) Herpes In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

These articles may help a little bit. I agree that this may be herpes related. There could be some crossover with the access to the ceiling which could also account for the occasional cough.

I agree with you that if she had some infection, it would get worse. Like most WebMD and PetMD articles, they try to cover every possibility so you have to rule out what does not sound like a possibility for your cat. I am not a vet, but I don't think that the more serious conditions are anything to worry about.

Fiona herself was a tiny, sick kitten when I found her and had a runny eye for the rest of her life, regardless of what we did, gave her, or put in it. But it never amounted to anything that affected her longevity which was slightly beyond 16 years.

Yes, I think that any long standing client needs to be treated as such. Both of my vets have been good about scheduling appointments but it seemed as if their business continued steady even during the major lockdowns.

Huge strain on veterinary clinics post-pandemic

Last edited: