Obsessive self-grooming... can it be licked?

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alpine'sMom

Her fur is so thick everywhere else, if only she'd leave her belly alone!
I know! Ossi has beautiful woolly fur everywhere else too. That is why I am hesitant trying the sour apple stuff myself. I really do not want him to start tearing anywhere else and then not being able to stop that either

Ossi does not have other skin problems either, like dander, flakiness or greasy hair etc. He does however suffer from recurrent yeast infections in his ears. I plan to ask the new vet this week if that has any bearing on this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sophie over-grooms in a lot of places--I almost wish she would confine it to a smaller area (like her belly where it wouldn't be so noticible!) She has licked the insides of both her thighs and legs almost down to the skin, the outside of her hind legs and her tail. When I catch her doing it, I try to gently distract her--you know, without making a big fuss--with a catnip toy or fuzzy mouse. This usually works for a little while. I am trying to practice patience, too. As long as she's not doing this as a reaction to a medical condition, and unless she starts licking skin off, I'm going to just wait and see, I guess.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ossi went to vet today to address his Pink Belly and our household diet issues. The vet had two courses of action to choose from. 1) Two week course of Prozac or 2) Four week course of Prednisolone. After one of those, re-evaluation if licking has not diminished.

This vet also suspected mainly psychological reasons behind licking but since Ossi also has yeasty ears, we decided to try the steroid pills first. The licking has worsened in last couple of months and we just want to cut the cycle.

Keeping fingers crossed this will give him a little rest without causing much side effects. Sometimes he takes a long break from the hectic licking once he is able to stop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petfindergal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by piikki

Ossi went to vet today to address his Pink Belly and our household diet issues. The vet had two courses of action to choose from. 1) Two week course of Prozac or 2) Four week course of Prednisolone. After one of those, re-evaluation if licking has not diminished.

This vet also suspected mainly psychological reasons behind licking but since Ossi also has yeasty ears, we decided to try the steroid pills first. The licking has worsened in last couple of months and we just want to cut the cycle.

Keeping fingers crossed this will give him a little rest without causing much side effects. Sometimes he takes a long break from the hectic licking once he is able to stop.
Oh, please let me know what happens! I go back and forth regarding the meds. If Sophie keeps getting worse, I'll have to take her back to the vet and I wonder if I should ask about putting her on them.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Petfindergal

Oh, please let me know what happens! I go back and forth regarding the meds. If Sophie keeps getting worse, I'll have to take her back to the vet and I wonder if I should ask about putting her on them.
I will. I hope Ossi does not get upset tummy from the pills. It will take a little while for them to take effect. Vet before has not thought meds were necessary but this time we both agreed the pinky was a bit much and he probably needed some relief.