Obsessive grooming

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 8 month old kitten obsessively grooms his one and a half year old “brother”. They both have FHV and the older cats affects his eye during flare ups. The younger cat has groomed his brothers eye to the point of causing a secondary bacterial infection that we are treating him for. They have to be separated while the medication takes care of the infection, but how do I prevent this from happening again? Will the 8 month old settle down with his over grooming of his brother as he ages and calms down? They are so closely bonded that separation is so difficult for them. I’m hoping there’s something I can do to fix this 😢

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try getting a blanket and routinely wipe it on the 'licked' brother, then give it to your 'licker' and see if he would use it instead. I don't know if he will outgrow the behavior or not, so trying to transfer his licking habit to something besides his brother - if it works - will at least help if he keeps the behavior into adulthood.

Are you giving them anything for immune support to help decrease flare ups? Many vets/people suggest l-lysine, but there are some members on this site that think DMG is more effective.
DMG for Cats: What It Is and How It Can Benefit Your Feline Friend - RedRusa
VETRISCIENCE Vetri-DMG Liquid Immune Supplement for Dogs, Cats & Birds, 28-mL - Chewy.com

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What kinds of things have you already tried to lower the excessive groomer's stress? Since it's grooming another cat, its usually stress and not pain etc causing the overgrooming.

What kinds of things do you already have for enrichment? Are there any other cats, pets or people in your home? If yes, how is the relationships between them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just have the two cats, no other pets and it’s just my husband and I. Our house is very quiet and calm. We have tons of toys, several cat trees, three big litter boxes, cat fountains separate from their eating area. They eat separately on opposite sides of the same room. This kitten grooms himself as aggressively as he grooms his brother. Everything he does is high intensity- he is intensely affectionate with his humans as well. He appears very happy and healthy and non stressed

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Luna is also a very high energy cat. I am the recipiant of her obsessive love. When she is very happy or excited she wants ti lick and even nibble with her front teeth. My face is her 1st choice but she'll take any skin she can get to. She's 22mt, around 20mt she bagan to calm somewhat.

He's at an age that you probably won't be able to tire him out but trying to could help. If it's safe in your area, try harness training and talk him for walks.

Check out this thread, it has other suggestions for indoor activities:

Ideas for how to keep my cat entertained in the winter?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an overgroomer too, she does much better on CBD oil I get at my local pharmacy behind the counter. HEMP oil did nothing, it has to be CBD. Cbd oil is not cheap, but since you use a quarter dropper, or 25 mils, it lasts several months for one cat.
As for the Feline Herpes Virus, my cats were on L-lysine fro a long time and kept getting it. DMG was started (Walmart, Target, Amazon online) and tehy haven;t had it since. They have been on it 4 years now. Since they have Leukemia too, it must really work. I hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t find DMG in my area anywhere but I ordered some online. Im excited to get them both started on it and hopefully avoid any of this in the future. I hadn’t thought of CBD oil for Sulley but it makes sense. Thanks so much for your advice! This is why I love this community so much, advice from people who have shared experiences!

marz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had not even thought about CBD and yet it seems the obvious choice. I will bop on out to the shop today for some pet CBD. Thanks!