Obsessed with these cat fountains

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CatFountains

I just came across these and I'm freaking obsessed. Does anyone have one? 

I know I should be a good girl and save up for one but I may just have to bite the bullet and scrounge for change in the couch cushions later. I love them! 

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, they are very beautiful but dare I say overpriced?   I've been tempted by the steel raindrop fountain     Right now I have a humble plastic Petmate but the cats love it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah the price is definitely the kicker and the only reason I haven't already ordered one. I think the draw for me is that I have been wanting an indoor fountain forever and love the look (and size) of these ones. So, I like that it does double duty in that sense. The one you linked is pretty cool looking and the price is way more reasonable, but it's not as "fountain-y." It's more function over form, whereas these are all about the form! I like that it could be a centerpiece in the room that they just happen to drink out of.....

I suppose before I even go down this road I should ask, Do cats really enjoy the circulating water more?  I just have a good, ole fashion, ceramic bowl and they drink it dry everyday. Does having the water circulate really make that much of a difference? 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooo those are pretty!  They are more like a work of art than just a functional cat item.

We have a Fresh Flow fountain and I love it.  Mooch will splash like crazy if her water is just in a bowl.  I mean soak the floor, wall and baseboards kind of splashing.  Crazy cat!  She still paws the water sometimes with the fountain; but no puddles or water streaked walls!  We've had ours for quite a while now and I can't imagine going without it.  

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah the price is definitely the kicker and the only reason I haven't already ordered one. I think the draw for me is that I have been wanting an indoor fountain forever and love the look (and size) of these ones. So, I like that it does double duty in that sense. The one you linked is pretty cool looking and the price is way more reasonable, but it's not as "fountain-y." It's more function over form, whereas these are all about the form! I like that it could be a centerpiece in the room that they just happen to drink out of.....

I suppose before I even go down this road I should ask, Do cats really enjoy the circulating water more?  I just have a good, ole fashion, ceramic bowl and they drink it dry everyday. Does having the water circulate really make that much of a difference? 
Our cats prefer circulating water--I have a ceramic bowl with water and near it, a circulating fountain (just a cheapy from Petco, but it does the trick).  The fountain gets used far more.  Not exactly a scientific survey, but our cats vote yes on them.  :-)

wimama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh!  I want one now.  We have a Drinkwell fountain, which I find to be a pain to clean.  I got it when my last kitty was diagnosed with renal failure and it did seem to help her drink more.  She was a faucet drinking cat for the last year or two of her life. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had much luck with the fountains. The first one was a Petmate, and Jamie would drink from it sometimes, but preferred his water bowls (actually French onion soup bowls). The Petmate was replaced with a Drinkwell when the motor got too loud, and Jamie wouldn't drink out of that one at all. Mogli thinks the Drinkwell is simply to slop in, so now he's using the onion soup bowls.

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
EB24, oh yes it makes a big difference for mine!   They used to be all ho hum about drinking out of their water bowls, but I've had the Petmate Freshflow for a year now and they still go nuts for it.   Definitely drink more water and they have fun just sitting and watching it sometimes.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
They're fabulous! 

I know they're expensive, but they've been hand-made by someone who is obviously an excellent potter.  I love being able to support these people if I'm able....

I'm one of those people who has really pretty bowls for cat food and water.. I figure if I'm going to have these things out on the floor they may as well be aesthetic, even if the cats couldn't care less...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooo those are pretty!  They are more like a work of art than just a functional cat item.
I know and I think that's why I like them so much. I dig things that are multi-purpose like that. Part of the reason I have hesitated on getting an indoor fountain (other than the only ones I've seen that I liked are too big) is that I don't want them drinking from it because of the chemicals that can leech out from the metals. This certainly does seem to solve that problem. 
Our cats prefer circulating water--I have a ceramic bowl with water and near it, a circulating fountain (just a cheapy from Petco, but it does the trick).  The fountain gets used far more.  Not exactly a scientific survey, but our cats vote yes on them.  :-)
Haha when it comes to cats that's about as scientific as it gets! 

Ugh!  I want one now.  
Aaahahahhaha yeah you do!!!! 

I haven't had much luck with the fountains. The first one was a Petmate, and Jamie would drink from it sometimes, but preferred his water bowls (actually French onion soup bowls). The Petmate was replaced with a Drinkwell when the motor got too loud, and Jamie wouldn't drink out of that one at all. Mogli thinks the Drinkwell is simply to slop in, so now he's using the onion soup bowls.
So these are my main concerns about getting one. First is that they won't use it. Second is that they will just play and slosh around in it all the time and make a huge mess! Diego already loves water- am I just asking for trouble?