Obsessed with Dr.Pepper

Gmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey!

I have a 8 month old cat, Toad, who is obsessed with Dr. Pepper. He will go after our cups like moths to light, to the point we have to hide any unattended Dr. Pepper in cabinets that are locked. Any other pop or drink, he does not care. But he will never leave Dr. Pepper alone. Its not much of a concern, but I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on why he might have this fixation, or stories of other kitties with funny obsessions.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
He may possibly like the scent which is sort of vanilla ish or he may just really like the taste of Dr. pepper. I only drink that but have never had a cat with any interest in it. I did have one cat who was crazy over coffee and would dunk her paw in my cup for a lick any time I wasn’t looking. At first I assumed it was the creamer that she enjoyed the taste of until I caught her eating coffee grounds off of the counter. Coffee isn’t good for cats but would often sidle up to my cup and stare with such longing that I would pour her out a few drops. No apparent harm to her - she lived to 19.

Joan Pardo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Hope your doing great. I think is cute, but probably is not very good for his overall heal. One of my cats has a milk fixation. 🤷 She even steal the bottles or bite the boxes when we hide them from her, but then we decided to keep then under key.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I think its hilarious that your kitten has her own interest lol. Luckily, we do not let Toad ever taste the pop, unless he managed to get a taste when we weren't looking

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He may possibly like the scent which is sort of vanilla ish or he may just really like the taste of Dr. pepper. I only drink that but have never had a cat with any interest in it. I did have one cat who was crazy over coffee and would dunk her paw in my cup for a lick any time I wasn’t looking. At first I assumed it was the creamer that she enjoyed the taste of until I caught her eating coffee grounds off of the counter. Coffee isn’t good for cats but would often sidle up to my cup and stare with such longing that I would pour her out a few drops. No apparent harm to her - she lived to 19.
I love that! I can imagine her face begging for some lol

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The formula for Dr. Pepper is unknown, but we might develop something valuable through a series of alchemical experiments. Perhaps even grant your cat super powers.

Per the wikipedia, certain bottling plants for Dr. Pepper still use real sugar vs. artificial sweeteners.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that! I can imagine her face begging for some lol
A funny story about that. Her begging coffee was such a regular occurrence that I very often just ignored her getting closer to my cup and placed a hand over the top while I read the paper discourage her from dipping. But this particular morning it didn’t seem to work and I could sense her moving closer and closer. I finally looked up and there she was looking so very sad with a full claw sticking out of the side of her nose like a little horn. Seemed she got too pushy with my foster cat and got bopped a very good one. I pulled it out, commiserated with her and offered her a few drops of coffee. Some days you just need it.