NV Instinct Raw Bites feeding guide: Can this really be right?

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The feeding guide calculator at the Nature's Variety website is telling me that a 2 lb. kitten needs 7/8 cup of Raw Bites a day (which is 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons).  Their raw bites are 95% meat, and I was under the impression that cats need far less raw food per day than canned.  It seems like an awful lot of food to me but I'm not that familiar with raw feeding.  Can anyone with more experience help me out?

chwx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many OUNCES is that? On the bag of my NV medallions it says 5-10lb needs 2-3 medallions for an "active adult" and says feed twice that for kittens. So probably 2 (which would be 2oz) would be for like a 2.5lb cat, and probably a good amount for yours too even though he's a bit smaller. Of course some will need more and some will need less so these are just starting points. I checked the Instinct site to double check and they recommend 2.1oz for a 2lb kitten. So I would personally measure out the raw bites in ounces instead of cups.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed.  Weigh it out. 

Kittens are still growing, and they grow fast, so they need as much food as they can handle.  Usually, kittens are given several meals throughout the day.  As they get older and bigger, the meals gradually get consolidated into a couple/few meals a day.  Kinda like a puppy with big paws and excess skin, kittens will "grow into" their meals.  Meals for kittens are usually calculated by their projected size/weight.  If you know how big the parents are, you can guesstimate from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How many OUNCES is that? On the bag of my NV medallions it says 5-10lb needs 2-3 medallions for an "active adult" and says feed twice that for kittens. So probably 2 (which would be 2oz) would be for like a 2.5lb cat, and probably a good amount for yours too even though he's a bit smaller. Of course some will need more and some will need less so these are just starting points. I checked the Instinct site to double check and they recommend 2.1oz for a 2lb kitten. So I would personally measure out the raw bites in ounces instead of cups.

Agreed.  Weigh it out. 

Kittens are still growing, and they grow fast, so they need as much food as they can handle.  Usually, kittens are given several meals throughout the day.  As they get older and bigger, the meals gradually get consolidated into a couple/few meals a day.  Kinda like a puppy with big paws and excess skin, kittens will "grow into" their meals.  Meals for kittens are usually calculated by their projected size/weight.  If you know how big the parents are, you can guesstimate from there.
 I should've looked at the bag, which explains that kittens need twice as much as adults.  Holy macaroni...I was hoping to transition the kittens to 100% raw food, but that's going to put too much strain on my budget.  I don't have the space, equipment, or time to do it from scratch at the moment, so I guess I'll have to mix the raw with canned food for now.  They've been getting a 50/50 mix of Instinct canned with the raw bites, so they're still pretty well off.  Someday I'll get them all on a strictly raw diet.

Thanks for the info!