Nuts isn't acting right

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's going to the vet at 1:30 so I know he has to get to the vet.

He just hasn't wanted attention, has been hiding more than usual, hasn't been sleeping and hanging out in the dog's crate(we normally have to kick him out of the crate if we need to crate the dog), he seems kind of more afraid of the dog than usual(when nothing out of the ordinary has gone down between them), he's also itchy(but so is the dog and no one has fleas so it might be allergies) but Paul says he's been scratching at his ears more than normal(I haven't noticed that), he also isn't eating right. I told them when I called for the appointment that I honestly have no idea if he's drinking(2 of his water bowls are shared with the dog and I couldn't tell if he's been drinking from his bowl on the counter with his food.) He is FeLV+(born positive) but has never been sick a day in his life.

I just hope this isn't the beginning of the end. I have lost 3 cats to URIs so even minor things aren't always minor with FeLV+ cats.

Could just use some vibes. I'll update when I get back.

Taryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He went outside and didn't want to come inside(he's 100% inside.) Attitude did that near the end. He is fully vaccinated and all the outside cats are FeLV+ so he wasn't hurting anything. I just carried him back inside and he didn't interact with any of the outside cats(Mama and the new cat that showed up NotTheMama were on the porch.) Normally he would of have ran back inside the second I opened the door, this time he didn't care. I could tell he wasn't exactly comfortable outside(he went outside as I was bringing the dog back inside from a potty walk.)

He's currently laying behind the TV(which he never does.) 1:30 can't come quickly enough.

Taryn

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He had a fever so they assuming he has an infection. They gave him an antibiotic and some stuff for his itchy ears(he doesn't have mites.) They also gave him an antibiotic shot before we left. I'll get the bloodwork(CBC/ Chem 20) back in a few days.

Taryn

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He has spent all night hiding in the cabinets under the kitchen sink(he knows how to open the cabinet doors. In facr he was trying to open he cabinets in the vets so he could hide under the sink there.) He settled on the shelf that holds treats and other cat and dog related stuff, away from anythg chemical so he isn't resting near anything dangerous, the cabinet door that goes under the sink just happens to be the easiest to open and he can get to the shelf from there.

He still was refusing to eat so I opened a can of Friskies(I feed it to the ferals outside) and he seems to have eaten some of that(it's a 5 oz can so I know he couldn't eat it all in one serving even when fully well, because him and Attitude together couldn't do it.) Not much, but enough to make me happy since he also ate some Fancy Feast earlier, once again, not much but enough to make me happy. He's retreated back to the cabinets.

I had to drag him out of the cabinets, the stupid dog wouldn't listen so he was right next to me when I was trying to get Nuts out so he could eat. Nuts heard me open the can and wanted whatever I had just put in his bowl. I'm thinking about putting the feals dry food(generic Cat Chow) up there for him to eat as well. Not too healthy but right now he needs to eat and high quality food isn't particularly important at this moment. I'll keep his dry ToTW out for him, but as I said, I need him to eat and I don't care what it is at this moment(not to mention plenty of cats have lived very long very happy lives fed nothing but Cat Chow and other crap. The ferals are thriving on it.) If my human child was sick and was refusing to eat and he wanted Lucky Charms or some other sugar laden cereal I'd run out and buy a box just so he would eat and cat chow is a lot healthier than Lucky Charms overall.

I'm replaying Attitude over and over, this is just going way too much like her right before I had to put her down, minus the fact that Nuts doesn't have a URI, an eye infection or a bloody nose and can breathe easily. We have no clue what or where his infection is, he has no lumps or bumps, no URI, he isn't showing signs of a UTI(forgot to ask them to test his urine), so no clue, just that he might have an infection due to the fever.

I just need him well again.

Taryn

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We got the blood test results. He's going in at 3:15 to be put to sleep. The virus has infected is bone marrow, his white cells are 2000 and his red blood cells are at 15%. The vet said that no matter what we do in the end he is going to have to be put to sleep within the near future so it's kinder just to not make him suffer.

I hate this disease or virus or whatever you want to call it.

Taryn

brooklet425

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read most of your posts in the past about your leukemia kitties and I am so sorry to hear this. It actually made me cry because I had an 8 month old kitten who succumbed to leukemia the same way as Nuts. He went from being perfectly healthy (aside from the leukemia) to acting just like Nuts overnight, and 2 days later we had him put to sleep. Its been almost 4 years since he died, and I still tear up every single time I think about him and how fast he went from healthy to sick. We had him put to sleep before he really suffered (the vet told us at the time that he was tired, but not in any obvious discomfort, but he would be soon), and for that I am thankful, but Felv is such a horrible thing and I really admire you for taking care of so many positive kitties. I only had that one experience, but I honestly don't know if I can ever bring myself to care for a positive cat again just because of how heartbreaking it was. The fact that I can barely type this without crying right now, makes me admire you even more for having the strength to give these cats the love and care that they need. Maybe Nuts will meet my Cledus at the Rainbow Bridge today, where they'll both be playing happily and healthy again. Thank you for what you've done for these cats. RIP Nuts

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It was fast and painless. He buried in the backyard with Attitude, Runt and Half-Tail(his siblings)by the 2 rosebushes we planted in memory of them. Next year if the bushes are still thriving I might purchase 2 more to represent the 4 we've lost since Nov.

I guess I need to post this in the rainbow bridge section. I'll give more details there.

Taryn